Fiat Twin Cam. Engine position.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiat Twin Cam. Engine position.

Have a Fiat 1600 and under heavy breaking the water pump boss is touching a cross member in front of engine. Has anyone had same ? Has anyone cut the angled cross member out, or part of it ? Or is my engine mounted further forward than most ? Martin. If this is not very clear - will post a pic of problem.

Re: Fiat Twin Cam. Engine position.

You could fit a restraining cable to stop the engine moving so far forward. Check your engine mountings are OK.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

What engine mounts are you using? I've got over 3??1/2" between the w/pump boss and the angled brace with a 2l Fiat fitted.

Comment

Hugh, I only have 1/2 " so am about to cut out the angled brace and replace it with one lower down. Dont know what the mounts are. Need to have it running for the Lands End on friday but will think about moving engine back after that. Martin.

Comment

Martin, when your down here give me a ring on 0120875977 and perhaps we can meet up.

Comment

I positioned my engine by deciding where I wanted the gearstick and welded the mounting plates on the chassis accordingly. This resulted in 6-7inches between the water pump and the cross brace.
            I was recommended to use the Mondeo engine mounts (available from most stands at the kit car shows) as they are smaller and harder then the Fiat ones. Consequently I have a set of unused Fiat mountings that anybody can have.
            Pete

Comment

Pete, thats a kind offer, I would like them as mine are in need of changing. I ended up cutting out the cross brace and bolting in one lower down so W P boss was above it. We finished Lands End - Only used a 13mm spanner to fix a broken exhaust mount - Ran like clockwork. Martin

Comment

Pete, My mob is 07711 789783. I will send you a cheque for postage. Martin

Comment

Working...
                X