Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked Head

Message originally posted by: Don
    What I had initially diagnosed as a head gasket failure has not been resolved, by changing the head Gasket, steam is still pouring out of the exhaust, and when I take the plug out of number one cylinder steam pours out like a kettle.

Any suggestions welcome.

(Engine B-series with a high lift cam and double valve springs.)

Re: Cracked Head

Don
    Experienced similair some years back with Volvo 340 turned out to be cracked cylinder liner[wet liner] It consumed water faster than I could get in in the radiator!

Comment

If memory serves me right the B head was prone to cracking between the ex. and inlet valve seats. Worth a check, especially if the head has been reworked.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don
        Yep it has been reworked. (unleaded inserts gas flowed.) My problem is that Although I can change a head I do not at the moment have the space or the facilities to change an engine.

Joy of joys I have a spare head! The problem is that the engine has a Piper 285 cam fitted, (Way OTT) so the standard head won't work because the valve lift is too great, the only option I seem to have is to have the spare head machined up to the spec of the last one. But at the moment I can't spare the funds to do that.

Long term I want to ditch the B series lump anyway and fit something "nice" along with a 5 speed box, perhaps now is the time to bite the bullet and go for it.

Thoughts at the moment are on a Ford pinto or DOHC 2.0 with a type 9 or mt75 box. But although I can find them in good running condition (MT75 boxes last for ever, had one on a 150K plus car and the gearchange was still like new, oiltight too)cheap there is still a new exhaust to be had plus propshaft, welding new engine mounts....

Get depressed thinking about it.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
          Come on Don, cin up. At least you can do the work yerself! Hope you can still make Stoneleigh under whatever steam you can....

Comment

Working...
          X