Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old story of overheating

Message originally posted by: Colin Smith
    Seems its happened to a lot of you guys and galls. I have a 'cruddy' marlin that has sprayed copious amounts of boiled water and coolant over its bubbly paint work and occupants. visitors to the 'kit car' show a few years back may remember my little cream car and two might then remember seeing it on the hard sholder a few hours later. im guessing mine has either the standard marina rad or a viva one, either way it dosnt work to well. I know my timing neads adjusting along with the fuel mixture but these alone wont help, any one know where i can get a maxi or austin 1800 rad? or any others that will fit. i hear thay are far better, could get a recore but don't realy have the funds unless they are sub ?40 (laughs). Going to put a expansion tank on it during the tart up, could my old rad surfice with a flush, engine tune up and tank?
    im a little dishartened at owning and driving an oversised kettle,is there a pot of tea waiting at the end of this steaming raibow?.
    help please.
    (ps used to be a MOC member and if my car works soo, i'll return)

Re: Old story of overheating

Colin
    I feel that your best course of action is to have the rad recored when funds allow,chances are if you find a maxi/1800 rad it will probably need rebuild anyway.You could try flushing system -just bare in mind that in doing so you may remove the crap thats holding it together!!

Comment

Just gone down the re core route on my Pinto engined roadster, needle now sits at N whatever I do though I have a Kenlowe just in case.

It's by far the best option in my opinion, Loughhborough radiators did a lovely job. Colin, I have heard you can improve cooling a bit by sealing the gap around the rad, that might, with flushing, help

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
        Colin, join again anyway! You own a Marlin whether it's on the road at the moment or not!

Comment

Hiya
          thanks for the feedback, just been down to my local ' car bit place' and the guy said that they could get it dont for 'about' ?50! seems a bit cheap but i will find out monday. Any one know where i can get some door hinges? they are the old pin and sleve ones, ykc have ceased to exist.
          Mrs Roedel _ after having a think and a thought me thinks that you are correct! After all it is the marlin OWNERS club not just the Marlin owners (and driving on the road) club. i'll join again when the bank manager get my pay slip.
          Thoughts please: Old English white or british racing green?
          no doubt i'll have another question soon but i'll let you know, in the mean time here are some pics of my resto.
          Attached Files

Comment

Just to keep any one who is interested in the loop. got a call from where i too my rad and the ' about fifty quid' had turned into ?135 plus vat. hum. the took it down to another place near me, ?80 plus vat, it should be back soon, i'l take a photo and post it up when i can.
            as for the respray colour, I have gone for BMW cream, its abit more creamy that old English and closer to what it is ATM.

Comment

oh and just as an after thought, the guy at the rad place told me that mine was from a 1300 viva, wonder why it was having difficalty with an 1800?
              For those observant types i know i said in the first one that i needed a viva rad but wasn't sure if they were either super duper or came in an 1800 model.
              last point, if any of you were planning to get spares they now come from aquilla sports cars.

Comment

Working...
              X