Bling / chrome bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bling / chrome bits

Prompted by the pictures of Lee's car in the recent magazine article and by my recent visit to Stoneleigh I would like to know how to achieve the chrome / polished look on the bumpers and windscreen surround. I have a marina based roadster so cannot remove the surround like you can on the later ones. I feel my car badly needs the bling factor!
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Re: Bling / chrome bits

John,

Easist way for the bumpers is polished stainless steel tubing fitted over the existing steel tubes.

Not sure for the Screen Frame though - something I've often wonedered about myself. Definately beyond my panel beating skills to make S/Steel covers for that.

Comment

Wasn't a stainless windscreen surround offered by Marlin in Crediton a couple of years back for the Roadster as well as the Cabrio.I'm sure Lee told me that his came from there.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Franklin Woodcock
        My Roadster has SS tubes fitted over the front bumper ends and a complete SS tube welded on the rear. This must have been a professional job. It certainly attracted me to the car and is much admired for it. You may have seen it at Stoneleigh, a 2-tone blue job.

Comment

I asked Terry at Marlin if she could supply a Stainless surround, but she advised they are no longer available through Marlin. However, someone makes these surrounds for Marlin for the Cabrio - and what a fantastic piece of engineering it is too. The latest supplier would be well worth tracking down if possible- the quality is brilliant.
          Mind you, it will set you back ?180

Comment

Message originally posted by: Lee
            Jon,
            Marlin cars made the surround for my car in house or so they told me, However it was quite rough when I got it and required quite a bit of work to get it to fit and fix it into place. Marlin charged me ?250 for the pleasure. The end caps are S/S tubes over the origional tubes with machined end caps polished up. Jon if you want some close up pictures to help or dimensions of the frame please let me know.
            On another note just in the process of fitting rear discs to the car using Dolomite sprint axle, Citoren Xantia 224mm discs and mk2 Golf GTI rear calipers. These have been created on a spare sprint axle I have so as soon as I get back from Scotland they will be fitted. pictures to follow....

Comment

Thanks Lee,
              Some close up pictures would be great. You can email them to jon.cox(at)blueyonder.co.uk or post them here for all to see. As for the rear disc conversion mine is almost finished too. I have used MGF rear discs and calipers. The discs already have the correct PCD and just need the holes opening slightly and then they fit straight on. I have drilled and countersunk some fixing screw holes as per the original marina drum just for good measure. The brackets are currently made of wood as a test but the metal ones just need to be manufactured. I have designed them as bolt on but will probably weld as well for good measure. Just need to sought out the handbrake cables and modify the handbrake lever to suit. As soon as this is finished and tested I will put together an article for PitStop mag. I bought all the parts from eBay for ?30. What are you going to do about brake balance? Are you using the original handbrake cable set up? Should work if you can shorten the cables that go across the axle or maybe design a new canterlever to take up the slack? Let me know your ideas, it would be really usefull.
              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
              - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Working...
              X