Sticking throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking throttle

I have just completed service and rebalanced carbs after extended winter lay up, all running beautifully now except the throttle sticks terribly, needs a blip on the peddle to settle it down, I cant see anything obvious that is causing the problem, am I missing something simple or is this a common problem?

Re: Sticking throttle

A frayed inner cable?

I guess it's a process of elimination: Disconnect cable from carbs, open up throttles manually using the link the cable attaches to, and release very slowly looking for stickiness.

Ditto at pedal - I presume accelerator has return spring; is this working ok? Then, with cable disconnected at both ends, pull and push inner cable gently backwards and forwards feeling for you know what.

(It's not much fun as you try and decelerate approaching a busy junction...)

Comment

What carbs are you using?

Comment

Bob
        It may be the carb piston /s sticking in the dashpot[I'm presuming you have SU's].You may have mixed them up when you refurbished them, take off any air filters then try lifting the piston with your finger to the top of it's travel and release-it should fall back to the base in a 'damped' way.Try interchanging the dashpots or if that doesn't help polish the inside/s -do not remove metal with wet/dry or similair as they are made to fine tolerances

Comment

Just a reminder really.
          It is always recommended to fit a reasonably robust return spring to the throttle linkage.
          This can be at the pedal end or at the carb end to beef up the notoriously weak springs fitted to most carbs.
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don
            Spring must go at carb end else it wont close the carb if the throttle cable breaks or (Common Marina occurrence) becomes unhooked form the throttle pedal. Best fit two at least. SU HIFs have twin closure springs as standard.

Comment

All the cables, springs and linkages are returning fully, I have cleaned the carb pistons and the inside of the dashpots, with some improvement, not quite perfect but getting there. Thanks to everyone for imput.

Comment

My last message went AWOL. ensure the linkage is tight as if one carb slips and gets left behind it then holds the other carb open then when you blip the throttle it settles back again, or it could be worn spindles allowing extra air in.
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

It may soung silly, but my experience was the carpet on the floor had moved and catching the throttle pedel and not allowing it to fully return.

Comment

Working...
                  X