No announcement yet.

Fiat twink coughing and a spluttering!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiat twink coughing and a spluttering!

Hi all knowledgable ones!!
    I am pulling my hair out (not that I have much to pull) with my Fiat twin cam.
    It is an 1800 out of a 132 and has twin IDF downdrafts fitted. It runs like a dream and pulls like a train until I go around a right hand corner / roundabout when it coughs and splutters like mad. I have adjusted the float levels, cleaned everything in sight, checked all wiring, tried full tank of petrol. It has been tuned on a rolling road (Circuit motors at Castle Combe - fantastic people) previous to this problem occuring. I could take it back there and spend more money but thought it should be an easy fix. Only thing I haven't checked is fuel pressure as it is still running the standard mechanical pump but have been told that this should be adequate.
    Any thoughts welcomed!!!!!
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Re: Fiat twink coughing and a spluttering!

Jon
    Has this problem materialised since taking it to Circuit motors?
    The little I've read on the subject seems to suggest that the float level/fuel pressure is quite critical on these carbs - see www.carburetorclinic.com
    If this HAS been a long standing problem you may wish to consider whether the fuel supply pipe from tank is of suitable size,the reason for mentioning this is that Derek Jones had fuel supply probs on his V8 cabrio - finally fixed by increasing the bore size, not so much a pressure problem as a flow rate one!

Comment

Alan.
      Thank you for the reply. Can understand why this could be the problem under normal running conditions i.e. hard acceleration etc. but this does not explain why it only happens whilst turning right.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

jon sounds like pump to me lack of fuel pressure and then cornering making the front carb die.

Comment

Working...
        X