Overheating? No, just oversight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating? No, just oversight!

This weekend I visited a friend in Basingstoke, a good 60 miles away from my home in central London.

The visit was great, and on my way back Saturday afternoon, I merrily packed up my bits in the car and drove off home. Fine.

However, the car started to run just a tiny bit hotter than normal. I figured that I was in a bit of traffic, and that once I was on the open road it'd cool down. But once I got some speed, it crept up just a tad bit more. Weird! My mind was running through all the possiblilites of what it could be, including the terrible notion of another headgasket failure... But I figured: simple answers first - could it just be the hot weather?

However as I sped up to run more air through the rad, the gauge crept ever so slightly higher..

so I pulled over.

And found my backpack sitting in front of the grille.

20 miles from where I'd set off....

oops.

Re: Overheating? No, just oversight!

PS, everything was fine once the backpack was back in the car. And I was able to eat the sandwich I'd packed away in the bag - which was nice and cool.

Comment

Ha ha! Excellent!

Comment

Just goes to show how important airflow through the cowling is on our little cars though doesn't it.

Comment

Superb. Send that to Sue for the mag so those who don't use the forum can appreciate it .

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC Editor)
            No need, I'll lift it from here! Nice one! I wasn't so lucky when I drove off with my handbag on top of the car. Had to retrieve it from the local nick some hours later when i had worked out what had happened!

Comment

Message originally posted by: Not telling
              I'd have thought you'd have noticed how much faster the car was going without your handbag...

Comment

Message originally posted by: Dane (village idiot)
                Early last I had been working on my Berli and decided to "road test"!
                Once out of my lane, on the back road to Newquay, a Toyota MR2 appeared in the mirror, fast and close. The horns grew from my brow and I had a rather exhilarating chase all the way to Perranporth (c18 Miles). The MR2 chased me all the way! I thought that they were out for fun/road rage/wanted to buy Moll/fancied me? But no. They had seen my mobile 'phone ping off my RH running board only 100 metres from my home. They had picked it up and tried to catch me up! I felt such an idiot. I took them to a pub and bought them a drink. They enjoyed the chase though!

Comment

My expensive "forgot to" was when late one night I checked the oil in the garage and decided to leave the clips off till I topped up the oil. Then about a week later I had to move the marlin out of the garage so I took it for a blast round the block. As the car picked up speed, the bonnet launched itself some 15 feet over my head into the road behind me sounding like a dustbin lid crashing to the ground. You dont have to look too close to see where it was repaired.
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I remember changing the oil in my first car one time in my parent's concrete driveway when i was 17...

I was Really Proud of myself for draining all of the oil without splashing a Single Drop of fluid onto the ground. The oil was nicely collected in a cut-down container, the plug was retained without having to fish for it, the final drips had finished dripping, and all was well.

Then the smug teenager goes ahead and refills the engine with 5 quarts of golden Pennzoil 10w-30 from the top. Fine.

Then he looks down in the engine bay and sees his reflection looking right back at him from the floor.

oops.

Comment

mmmmm
                      when i was a young apprentice working on HGVs I drained the oil from a lorry. The knack was, whilst stood in a pit,to balance a large drum on ones knee, remove the sump plug slowly, as soon as the plug comes free and the oil flows, lower the drum to the floor of the pit ........... however if you drop the plug do not look into the drum ... cause the oil runs all over your head. Yep I did it ..only once

Comment

Reminded me of a stunt we used to play on the guys fresh to our squadron from training
                        Picture the scene:
                        Aircraft back on apron from passenger carrying duties
                        Sneak out and open 'gate valve' on chemical toilet before he gets there, this ensures that the 'contents' are in the discharge pipe right behind the blanking cap.
                        Fresh faced fitter opens acces panel and removes blanking cap while stood in direct line of 'contents'----
                        We old hands always stood to one side just in case-not exactly Health and safety but ------

Comment

Working...
                        X