Steering rack bushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack bushes

The further I go, the more I find to replace. Latest removal is the steering rack - on rubber bush appears OK, the other seems to have been carved from something unidentified. Are these still available anywhere ? I've done the interweb search without any luck.

Re: Steering rack bushes

Piccie

Comment

before someone points it out - I've just noticed the Steering bushes section on Superflex.
      Would I be right in thinking that the SPF0941 - Triumph 2000,2.5,Spitfire,Herald,GT6,Dolomite item would be the same as the Marina ?

Comment

Correct, Dolomite bushes are the same and I do believe that there is a mod for these bushes, they are made from aluminium and said to stop the car from wandering at high speeds, also try www.chriswitor.co.ukfor superflex bushes

Comment

Apologies, the address is www.superflex.chriswitor.co.uk

Comment

Some on the bay at the moment:
            190137485574 - original rubber ones.
            230161188915 - aluminium upgrade as per Phil's post.
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
            - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Since my little incident back in April and the subsequent re-build, I have used the solid alloy version. Did have to move the mounting position slightly though to make the coupling to the column clear the turret - also fitted a U/J type coupling instead of the rubber bushed version.

Now more responsive on the steering and can't say it's made the ride any harsher steering wise.

Comment

Once again, thanks for all the replies.
                This rebuild is becoming a team effort !

Comment

Hi Guys
                  It's been my experience that not all Marina racks are the same in relation to the size of the rack tube,consequently the mounting rubbers and the saddles are of different diameter so you might want to check with Superflex having measured yours.I found this out to my cost when replacing mine with a 'better' unit from a scrap car but I'd omitted to taking the mounts so could't fit it! Rebuilt the original rack whose only fault was the support bush /bearing ,but had to get one machined at work since none of the people I contacted were prepared to supply me.My guess is that this is probably the only bit that goes into 'reconditioning' apart from the coat of paint!
                  Sorry if I've thrown a spanner in the works!!

Comment

Alan,
                    You are correct. The early mk1 marinas had a different rack from the later models. My car is built from a 1973 marina that has the later type.
                    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Message originally posted by: beb
                      Not sure if this applies to marina racks but on the Triumph ones there is a little nylon button that sits in a hole on the non pinnion end of the rack tube under the rubber mount. This acts as a thrust pad onto the inner rack to reduce chatter on the free end. IF you use alloy mounts you need to remove the nylon pad or it will make the rack stiff.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don
                        The earlier mark 1 Marina racks did not seem to have a rubber bush mounting. They also gave a slightly smaller turning circle.

Comment

Working...
                        X