Berli windscreens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berli windscreens

I heard recently that the Berli windscreen comes from a Landrover. I always thought it was a special cut and you had to get it cut to size if you wanted a new one.

I don't need one, I was just curious if anyone else had heard the same thing.

Re: Berli windscreens

Hmm, I'd be very, very surprised if this was the case. The Berli screen tapers in very slightly towards the top; I think Landrover screens are pretty square. Surely Landrovers are wider too?

Ready to be corrected tho'!

Comment

That is not true you are misinformed Sue. The screen is flat and cut to shape .

Comment

Perhaps someone cut one from a landrover screen??

Comment

I didn't think it was from a Landrover so it looks as though the person who suggested it has been misinformed. I thought I was right! I'll let him know.....Thanks guys

Comment

Hi,
            I have just ordered a new screen for Millie.
            The plan is for the supplier to cut it from a Landrover screen. It can be done as long as the Landrover Screen is bigger than the Cabrio. This allows the screen to have the pucker windscreen markings. The alternative is to have it cut from a special large sheet which is much more expensive as sheet is special and there is more wastage.
            With luck I shall know tomorrow.

Paul

Comment

Sue ,
              I think you were right about the Land Rover screen, and as Paul says it will have the correct markings on it. I have been eyeing up the heated screen on my Defender, as it is possibly the only flat screen vehicle I can think of that could be carved up to fit, and by doing so you no longer need de-mister vents, and thats another problem solved.Paul let everyone what happens, I think it could solve a few poblems.
              Phil

Comment

Good news.

The Landrover screen is exactly the same height as Millie’s (Cabrio). It is 427mm. The ends have to be trimmed at an angle and the top radiuses cut. The Landrover’s screen has radiuses in each corner. In order to keep the markings some of the radius shows at the bottom left of the screen. You will be hard put to find it once fitted though.

My supplier only works mobile theses days saving the cost of any premises. He came collected the old glass took it away as a template then returned with both pieces. I needed the old one to use as a template to paint the new glass.

Bad news.

He can’t get hold of any bonding goop in a tube. The professional stuff comes in a sausage and has to be used with a special applicator. Because I had to paint the screen and he had to rush off, the screen has not yet been fitted. He has promised to come back on Saturday morning with his special tool to finish the job.

So you’ll all have to wait till then to find out how much it all costs.

Paul

Comment

Paul
                  What did you use to paint the screen - do you need to etch the glass in order to get it to 'take'
                  I have a small crack in mine but as it's never failed an Mot I've never got round to fitting the new screen I purchased mainly because of the above query

Comment

Millie’s screen was finally fitted today.

By: Bridgeway Windscreens 160 Fair Oak Road Eastleigh Hampshire SO50 8HA Tel: 02380 601000

The gentleman that cut and fitted her screen was a veritable fountain of automotive glass information.

There are two types of glass used in most cars since the 1970s. Toughened and laminated. In general Toughened is used on side and rear windows and will shatter if it is cracked or chipped. Laminated is used for windscreens and made from two layers of glass sandwiching a plastic film. This type of glass can be cut. So a Landrover windscreen can be modified to fit a Marlin. The cut particularly round the top corners was not as good as on the previous screens she has had. But that won’t be visible under the capping.

I asked about using a heated windscreen. He warned against it because the elements are arranged 10cm vertical stripes. If any part of the element is damaged the whole 10 cm area becomes inoperative and makes it difficult to see out when misty. Also making connections can be difficult and easily broken. In fact he wasn’t in favour of anything being embedded a screen because it reduces the potential for repair.

He used a bonding system called Ezi-Gun & Go from a company called Laddaw. See http://www.laddaw.co.uk/html/ezi-gun___go_.html
                    The “paint” is called primer and is used on both the frame and glass. A second clear liquid he called an activator was applied to the primer just before he squeezed on the bonding goo. It is probably best not to know what they do. Especially what they do to you as the cans are marked harmful. From the web site it looks as though you can order up your own and they seem to stock tubes for use in a simple applicator. I don’t know how much it costs but you do not need much and it has a short shelf life.

One useful tip he gave me was to use welding wire stretched between two screwdrivers to get the old glass out.

We spent over an hour chatting about various folks in this area and the cars they are building and various screen techniques. I fancy that he could have fitted Millie’s simple screen while taking a nap.

Given the amount of time he spent too-ing and fro-ing you wouldn’t expect it to be too cheap so I count a bargain at £60. Certainly much better than the £150 I was quoted from another place.

It is wonderful to see her without a crack on her face again.
                    Paul
                    Attached Files

Comment

Paul could you not get a screen from Dave Kitson or Terry?
                      I can understand the Roadster or Berlinetta being a little more difficult. It is not that long ago that I picked up four windscreens for the Cabrio from Birmingham for them.

Comment

Hi Danny,
                        I could have got one from Terry but when I inquired they did not have any premises to stock them. It would have meant driving to north London to collect it. A journey taking over 2 hours each way out of a working day, I would also have had to source the bonding goop and paint myself.
                        Paul

Comment

Working...
                        X