Rover V8 clutch master cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rover V8 clutch master cylinder

has anyone had experience of fitting an hydraulic clutch with the Rover V8? I just cant see how there will be room on the bulkhead for the master cylinder - it will be obstructed by the rocker covers? Help???

Re: Rover V8 clutch master cylinder

Cameron,
    The original Marlin Roadster V8 install was only available with the hybrid chassis that used a triumph front end and then a marina rear, although it adopted a capri rear axle due to its strength. This over comes two major issues, the pedal box and the steering column / rack...
    You will have to change your pedal box arrangement. I have attached a picture of the Triumph version but it would not be too hard to fabricate a bracket to hold a master cylinder under the bulkhead, extend the clutch pedal upward to give you the pushing motion required and use remote resevoir. I have attached a drawing of what this could look like.
    Attached Files
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Thats really helpful thanks. My chassis is the YKC Romero which I was led to believe would support the V8. I like the idea of the reverse cylinder and remote 'pot' that might work. I was also thinking about a cable conversion?
      I would be interested in othe rpics of your install Jon?
      Cheers

Comment

Cameron
        I have posted pictures to your e mail address of Marina based roadster that was converted to take V8, this includes a system such as that to which Jon refers.

Comment

Thanks Alan (again!) but the pics havent arrived - can you try cfurnival at btinternet dot com instead? Cheers

Comment

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marlin_bmw_cabrio/
            Cameron, this may help to try and explain my e mail to you!

Comment

many thansk Alan. Most interesting - will see what i can come up with

Comment

Burton power sell various conversions that uses a concentric slave cylinder that sits around the gearbox shaft inside the bell housing.

Comment

There was an article years ago in Pitstop - IIRC I think the guy used an Imp master cylinder with remote reservoir sitting on top of the bulkhead. Can't recall all the details though. Also the Mini clutch master comes up vertically, and as Jon says it should be possible to adapt the clutch pedal to suit a vertical cylinder...not tried it though...
                  ;-)
                  Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                  Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Thansk for all the help - pics were brilliant Alan thanks. However...Im going to try and convert the whole set up to cable clutch. Any thoughts?

Comment

Hi Cameron
                      Am I right in thinking that your present set up with the Romero is that you have Sierra pedal assy's and the Rover Sd 1 gearbox clutch ? That being the case then maybe by putting a 'keyhole' in the clutch operating arm and fabricating a bracket to support/provide end stop you could use a sierra cable. Ykc did a roadster with a Maestro/ montego engine driving through a SD1 box with I think a Freight Rover bell housing to couple it all together, presumably they used hydraulics on that but as my memory is short on the details I'll need to look it up.

Comment

I have the so-called 'global pedal system' from YKC. I have drilled the top lug of the clutch pedal and fabricated a little bracket to hold the sierra cable on it. I am about tho drill the bulkhead and put in a tube to hold the clutch cable outer. I then intend to drill out the release fork to hold the other end of the cable outer and pierce the end of the clutch housing to pass the inner cable through. I will cut off the nipple and fabricate a way of holding the cable against the bellhousing. This way, pulling the inner tight will mover the outercable and push the clutch release fork. simple?

Comment

Sounds ok!!

Comment

Ok so far. I drilled the pedal - have cut down the clutch cable tube from the sierra and welded it to the bulkhead. How Im ever going to fit everything in there I dont know - copious amounts of grease and a large mallet I expect.

Comment

Working...
                            X