Marina rear brakes. DEFEATED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina rear brakes. DEFEATED!

Ok so when did Marinas EVER have self adjusting rear brakes? For about6 months only in 1973. Self adjusting rear brakes have a unique wheel cylinder with a hole in t'other end for the screwy bit of the adjuster.

No supplier has any record or trace of them. Duh!

So now I am going to have to pull the half shafts out of the old axle and the new, to swap the back plates over before I can fit the new axle.

Help, I don't know how to do this and I don't have the tools.

Re: Marina rear brakes. DEFEATED!

Easy, just make sure you have left enough room to clear the length of the half shafts each side as you pull them out. No special tools needed. Everything is held in with four bolts each side. You'll need new paper gaskets, or make them up.From memory the bolts are 9/16" A/F.

Comment

Thanks Hugh, but that still leaves the back plate stuck between the hub and the bearing, how do you get then off?

And the book of destructions seems to suggest a slide hammer is needed to pull the half shaft out.

Comment

When you take off the four bolts everything is free to come out. If the bearing is tight in the axle casing,which is unusual,it usually slides out, refit the wheel loosly to the hub and use it to jerk the shaft and bearing out. The only pieces held between the bearing and wheel flange is the oilseal/clamp-plate assembly the back plate hole is bigger than the OD of the bearing so that the bearing passes through it. The backplate should then just pull off. There's a paper gasket between the backplate and the axle flange and one between the oilseal/clamp-plate and the backplate. One thing to check is if there has been movement of the bearing on the halfshaft. It's not unknown for the halfshaft to float in and out of the bearing. It's only the interference fit of the bearing on the shaft that stops the shaft from coming out. When I overhauled mine I fitted a collar at the back of the bearing which was a shrink fit and in 18 yrs. it hasn't moved.
        Best of luck. Hugh.

Comment

Ok thanks!

Comment

Don,
            If your axle is like mine then the backplate does not have a hole in it big enough to pass over the bearing. If this is the case with yours then you will need to seperate the hub and half shaft. Good Luck!!!!
            The only way I managed to seperate mine was to get a mate who works at Farbio cars to use their press. Apparantly it was one hell of a bang!!!
            The Marina club's solution is to undo the nut by one turn then drive around the block "weaving" slightly!!! This will apparently loosen the hub.
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
            - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Jon my memory of the spares I used to have before I passed them on, is of a pair of half shafts with the backplates captive between bearing and hub.

But no matter I will change hub half shafts and backplates over from one axle to the other.

I cant actually drive the car to weave even sligthly as the Diff is gone; whurra whurra whurra, bang! whurra whurra whurra, bang! whurra whurra whurra, bang! whurra whurra whurra, bang! whurra whurra whurra, bang! The bang ios accompanied by a percussive blow that can be felt through my seat.

I got it home from St Albans making that noise, I would hate for it to sieze completely and be immoveable.

Comment

Or see if your local Triumph Owners Club have a puller they can lend you (I know some local branches do hire these out to members and the axle is Triumph-derived - some beer tokens and a sob story might do the job!).

You can also buy the correct puller from Canley Classics (and occasionally they come up on fleabay) - maybe the Club could think about getting one to hire out?
                Ben/Alan - any thoughts?
                Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hi Don, it appears that the doli sprint had the same self adjuster brakes that you are describing, and i am looking for the a pair of cylinders for the axle that i collected at the week end, hope yours is easier than mine! Merv

Comment

Don, Why dont you drop the half shafts and just change the diff in your existing axle on the car as long as you jack the chassis and allow the axle to drop on the springs remove the prop shaft and remove the diff. If you want to dismantle the half shafts I have the puller and if you phone me we may be able to sort it all out as long as you have a bench mounted vice.Give me a call.
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I did think of that Ben, but the old axle is going to be full of bits of broken gear tooth. I have the old axle 90% removed now, just 5 bolts to go and a clout wif a big hammmer should do it.

How easy is it to change the oil seal where the drive goes in?

Comment

Hi Don. Doug says you should be able to get all metal out with a good magnet. Hope you have soon fixed it. Regards Liz

Comment

Hi again Don, just found a supply of the brake cylinders, on ebay search dolomite rear brake, the is a shop in scotland who have the correct ones at about £20 a pair, hope that helps. Merv

Comment

Hi Don, Its easier on the car but you "just" undo the pinion nut pull off the drive flange and dig out the old seal. Make sure the new one is lip inside, oil up the seal and the nose of the flange.85lbs torque and a new split pin. If its a nylock nut I would use loctite on the thread.Make sure the breather on the axle is clear.
                            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

hi don i have the same brakes on my marlin got two brand new cylinders easy 44 pound the pair delivered brand new i will find the name of the company if your interested and get back to you

Comment

Working...
                              X