Electronic Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Ignition

My Marina based Roadster has a 1.8 TC engine with Lumenition elec. ign. I have been advised that this needs replacing (well anyway it does not work - no spark).

I have no idea which model it is.

Can anyone advise me what I should buy to replace it (Pertronix/Aldon/Lumenition) and which one I should buy?

Re: Electronic Ignition

Chris, Lumenition have a web site where one can download the technical details of the various sytems. I had lumenition on my knackered pinto which worked well.

Consensus around here is the Aldon system is good and reliable.

(I've gone L-jetronic for my sisns!)
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I've just bought an Aldon igniter system that sits in the dizzy. I haven't fitted it yet but it looks very neat and easy to fit. It was recommended to me by an MG owner. I didn't know which one I wanted so mailed them with my engine and dizzy details and they told me which one to order:

http://www.aldonauto.co.uk/aprods.htm#two
      http://www.aldonauto.co.uk/aprods.htm

It arrived in about 2 days. Good service!

Comment

I fitted a Aldon kit to my Pinto and goes very well. I once rang Aldon for some advise and were very helpfull.

Comment

I have had Aldon fitted to my roadster for 5years now and it has had no problems (so far).

Comment

Aldon are just Pertronix rebadged. These are very good systems although I have heard that if you leave your ignition switched on for long periods of time they burn out. Buy from these guys in the US as with current exchange rates it is about half the price. They ship from a warehouse in the UK so there is no import duty to worry about. This is the company that all the TR and MG boys use. http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
            - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hi folks

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I have ordered a Pertronix from the US at £79 for the unit and a coil.

I will let you knoe how it goes. Perhaps I can now get the car on the road this year.

Comment

Just had a magnetronic setup fitted under the cap and wow what a difference. I also had the tappets adjusted and carbs re tuned and Bosch plugs with bigger gaps . Car runs so much better and smoother than before and idles at 8,500 for the first time ever. Still a bit rich but this may sort itself without a needle change when i go unleaded.

The electronic ignition itself was about £80 on offer from the MG Beehive on mail order a while back and I figured if it was good enough for them then it would be fine for my B Series twin SU lump
                I did get a new coil fitted (can soon fail if not up to the task)and new fuel pump at the same time as the old one was showing a slight leak and taking in air no doubt. And yes the filter looked fine but was cloggy so another potential problem solved

Goodbye to iffy sticking points and dodgy condensers
                hopefully!!!!

The work was done by Crown Classic Cars in Twickenham by the way 0208 891 6101

Comment

Idles at 8,500? 'Rich' ain't the half of it...

Comment

Hi there.
                    I have fitted an Aldon Ignitor and now have real issues with starting. Turn over is very slow and, particularly in the colder weather with late nights and heavier electric draw, I have had a couple of 'no shows'! I have tried picking up an additional feed for the red lead (as suggested), even coming off the battery to test, but there is no real improvement.
                    Has anyone else had this problem. If so, what did you do?
                    Help!

Comment

Working...
                    X