Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch plate

Afternoon all

The other day i split the gearbox and engine to free up the clutch. While its all apart i thought may aswell relace but im not sure which one to buy.

The engine is the 2.5ltr carb model, but i have been informed the car started off life as a vitesse.

Stay with me on this one.

So i assumed it would have been the 2 litre because of the gearbox being strong enough to take the power of the 2.5. BUT i bought some new brakes the other day which were the 2ltr ones and they are alot bigger than the current ones so after some research found the originals were off a 1600.

So what i am now assuming is that my donar car was a Vitesse 1600 but had a engine, gearbox, diff from something else.

So the questions i have to ask after becoming quite confused is.

What indentifying marks are on the gearbox or rear axle to tell what they came from, and also if anyone knows anymore about my car than me?

Most people are more likely to recognise the old number plate TUF 704 and was previously owned by Ted Kendal.

By the way if anyone is interested i can put some pics up of how im getting on so far

Many Thanks to everyone

Re: clutch plate

Hi Tom,
    prefix letters for vitesse 1600 HB
    " " "" 2ltr HC
    GT6 MK1 KC1
    Mk2 KC5
    Mk3 KE1-2
    But be careful because reconditioners may swap castings.
    All these car used a 3 rail box with seperate bell housing and reverse on the left.(as you hold the gear lever)
    the 1600 had no synchro on first and a 8 inch clutch plate
    the rest all use 8.5 inch clutch plate with 10 splines..
    Saloon prefix is ME.
    The saloon box has reverse on the right and alloy box and bell housing all in one . This uses the the same 8.5 inch clutch plate.
    I spoke to Ted recently but he cant even remember what bits he put on the car never mind what they were from.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
    X