LPG Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPG Conversion

Hi. Is there anyone out there who has converted a 1.7 'O' series to LPG? If so, I would like some opinion please.

Re: LPG Conversion

Brod,
    I cannot answer for the conversion yet nor how it will work with your "O" series but I have paid my deposit to have my Berlinetta with 1.8 fuel injected Ford Zetec converted to LPG.
    The tank I have decided on is 77 litres and is fairly large so I am losing a lot of my, too small anyway, boot space and in fact the tank will be enroaching onto the rear seat as well. The 69 litre tank is 650 Diameter by 250 height..... 77 litre tank is 650 x 270. There are smaller and larger tanks and some which are more rectangular but I don't have their dimensions.

Is your car fuel injected? I got the impression, but only an impression, that EFI was an essential, but you must ask this question.

I have been told the performance with gas is the same as previously but the fuel consumption will be about 2/3 of whatever you had before.

Also, the fuel tank cannot by law be filled to the stated capacity, probably due to some weird Common Market infrinegment into our way of life which I doubt if many of our European Cousins follow [oops how did that slip out, end of to days lesson]. My tank choice is 71 litres and I will therefore only be able to fill it to about 80% of this.

The conversion will take about 5 days to complete. That is all I know except the gas is cheaper and emissions are about 15% less.

Good luck. I am having mine converted in October so I will let you know how I get on.

Comment

LPG conversions for carbed engines are available/possible. I've heard of several Marinas & Minors being converted and there are plenty of V8's running gas....
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hi. I maybe using two smaller verticle tanks for the 1.7 'O'series conversion. Single, large SU. For trialling the extra weight will be useful, and as far as boot space is concerned, there is a bloody great box on the back of mine so I am not too concerned. I reckon I can convert to LPG/Petrol for around £450. Quite reasonable I feel.

Comment

The reason you cant fill a lpg tank to the brim is that it has to maintain a vapour pressure on top of the liquid as when the liquid vapourises it expands 275 times and you need to contain the volumne. Also the vehicle should have a cut off valve for the lpg that acvtuates when the engine is turned off or stalls. There is some good info on the Calor gas web site.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I looked into LPG for my daily driver - you've got to do a fair old mileage to get you're money back, i.e about 30k.

Also watch out for valve seat regression with lots of engines, particularly all Fords. My local LPG fitter refused my to do my Mondeo even though I nearly begged him!

Even with additional lubricant systems he reckoned it could require head work in as short a time as 10k miles. The reason other companies will do it is apparently because the LPG industry is on its arse and some will take any work they can get. Ask you're installer if they'll warranty your cylinder head? The guy I spoke to didn't turn down the business for no reason.

Whatever, buyer beware and do your research thoroughly before spending a lot of cash.

Comment

Working...
            X