Continental touring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continental touring.

For those contemplating taking their Marlin on the continent, you should be aware of some important new traffic laws that have just been introduced, that may save you on-the-spot fines. According to the latest magazine issued by a very august motoring body, that if you plan to travel to Belgium, you may be expected to carry a first aid kit, fire extinquisher, reflective jacket and a warning triangle. However, one of the new French laws states that as from 1 July, it is compulsory to have a reflective jacket on board vehicles with at least 4 wheels. Further more, in an emergency the jacket must be easily accessible to the driver,and must be worn in day or night time, regardless of visibility. As of 1st October, any person not complying will face a fine of 135 euros. The French already demand that certain safety devices are carried , so the jacket is an additional one. I believe similar rules exist in the other EU countries.
    So be warned, ignorance of the law is no excuse, and I'm sure the level of my conversational french will not get me out of trouble.

Re: Continental touring.

Don't forget your full spare bulb kit, even though on lots of modern (many French) cars it's a 'dealer only' fit for them!

Pity the French, and particularly the Spanish, aren't quite so keen on bald tyres, broken lights and the general heaps that seem to allowed on their roads...

Comment

Re: Continental touring.

If you wear driving glasses and drive in Spain you need to have a spare pair in the car.OH and dont forget your GB sticker and headlight converters.
      I can remember having a puncture repaired in Corsica and the stack of over 100 old tyres outside the workshop couldnt put enough tread together for one bike tyre.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
      X