B Series Oil Coolers + Electric Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B Series Oil Coolers + Electric Fans

Anyone have an oil cooler fitted to their car ? If so where abouts have you located it - I have an MG engine so it has one as standard, was thinking of locating it behind the radiator above the steering rack, but this only works if I loose the fan - Thinking of going with an electric fan anyway on the front of the radiator, and assume if I do this there is no benefit in having the normal fan pushing air in the opposite direction !!

Re: B Series Oil Coolers + Electric Fans

I had one on my A series engined roadster located behind radiator[it needs to be as close as you can get it] Electric fan up front with no mechanical fan fitted.

Comment

Hi Andy, I had one when I had the 1800 Marina engine and retained it with the Fiat engine now fitted. I mounted it below the rad. as in the pic. It was still above the bottom of the sump level and gets a good cooling flow. The electric fan I've fitted behind the rad. and it just sits between the rad and the steering rack, see pic. It's a Pacet Slimline.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for both the replies - Where Hugh has it looks a good position for a road car, but I plan to use mine for trials so I think it would be too exposed there - I would also have a sump guard which I suspect would block the flow of air even if I could get the oil cooler inside it.

Comment

Andy
          Picture of what was mine under the roadster section of Cars on this Forum -see the blue one reg Q765 BAU

Comment

My B is much happier since I refitted the standard engine fan. It has an electric fan but the engine, which is a tuned 2 litre sulked as so as the car stopped with just the lectric fan.
            I suspect the engine compartment requires an air movement all the time to stop pockets of hot air forming.
            There may be a bit more room around the engine in your roadster.
            Also I had a large oil cooler but this seemed to heat the radiator or perhaps it blocked part of the airflow.

Comment

I know you're not supposed to place ads here, but ... I have a spare oil cooler setup to bolt straight onto a B-Series engine if anyone wants to make me a sensible offer. Oil cooler + pipes + clamping plate to fit between oil filter and filter mount + brackets to fit to steering rack. It fits fine with the standard fan removed and an electric fan fitted to the back of the radiator core. Photographs available. Email me at mailto:[email protected].

Comment

I junked the oil cooler and it's associated thermostaic valve and cured several oil leaks in one fell swoop. later on swapping the engine I removed the truncated remains of the engine driven cooling fan. I did this on the grounds that the fan was tiny, very noisy and was a good 3 inches from the rad, so it couldn't be doing much. I was wrong and I will replace it at the next opportunity. I have an electric one as well on a thermostat.

Comment

Working...
                X