Slackness in brake/clutch shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slackness in brake/clutch shaft

I have noticed that when I press the clutch and brake pedal at the same time (as you do, there appears to be a certain amount of movement from the whole assembly.

I had this on my old Robin Hood sevenesque, but that was just a poor design of framework holding the mechanism in the car. After I beefed it all up, the problem went away.

On close inspection of my Berli's assembly, it appears that the plain bearings holding the main shaft are worn. As this assembly and that of my Robin Hood look very much the same style, I guess they are both of Ford manufacture.

Anybody got a quick-fix idea? I don't really want to take the whole thing apart at this point in the year. Could leave it as a Winter job, I suppose.
    Cheers
    Mike

Re: Slackness in brake/clutch shaft

This is a fairly common Berli snag.
    See the posts from 11 Nov 2004 - Clutch pedal nylon bush.
    Quite a few of us have had to find a way round this.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I had the same thing for years but didn't really find it a problem. having just had some work done on the car (SOME?! wait till you read Pitstop!) I had that done at the same time. See pic. They had to take the whole pedal box apart but it won't need doing for years now....
      Attached Files

Comment

Mike,
        I took my pedal box out years ago because quite simply the shaft was wearing an elongated slot into the sides of the peadl box after 3 years of use 10k miles per anum. I dilled and filed to fit the shaft ends 2 No 0.25" 2" square steel washers NB one end has a flat on it to stop the shaft rotating. I drilled the 2 washers twice and fitted 2 bolts through each and the sides of the pedal box. The car is now 22 years old and has never been any more trouble.

Comment

Working...
        X