Triumph Suspension - too low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph Suspension - too low

I have always felt my Triumph based roadster has lacked ground clearance. A few years back I replaced the rear spring (GT6 M2) with a new one which helped (but not much). I am now looking to try a Vitesse rear spring. Whilst I am at it I thought I would try changing the front springs as well. I would be grateful for any suggestions. The car has the 2 litre engine and currently has some shortened springs (as per the manual) from either a GT6 or Vitesse. I am thinking of trying unshortened Herald springs (as per the build manual).

Any suggestions or advice welcome

Re: Triumph Suspension - too low

Hi, I've got stock Herald springs in front, and I'm concerned that my MK1 rides too high in front...

Perhaps we could swap! I need to take the front suspesion apart sometime soon anyway to renew some moderately worn parts.

Drop me a line on t at tiyen.com if you might be interested. I'd definately be interested in your shortened springs once you swap them out.

Cheers,
    Ty

Comment

Hi Nick.

Does your GT6 Mk2 rear have 'doughnuts', or is it a swing axle (like the Mk1 I had many years ago...)? I probably don't have to tell you what will happen if you raise a swing-axle rear - funny sloping out cart wheels! Won't the rear spring take a spacer where it's mounted above the axle in order to lift it up (or is my memory playing up)?

Similarly, at the front - are your steering arms currently pretty horizontal? Is the wheel camber ok? If so, you need to take care you don't mess what is probably ok geometry for the sake of a little extra height.

Comment

My 6 cyl hybrid uses Mk1-3 front springs(full length) as they are the softest Triumph spring available.
        If you use a spacer on the rear spring the car will ride even lower.
        There are three possible set ups your car may have:-
        1 Normal Vitesse/Herald early GT6 Spitfire spring with varying number of leaves.
        2 Mark 2 Vitesse/GT6 with rotoflex donuts and lower wishbone.
        3 Late Mk2+Mk3 GT6 and Spitfires use a swing spring that rocks in its 4 bolt mounting on the diff and uses longer drive shafts.
        Assuming you have the common Vitesse saloon spring you can add or remove two or three intermediate leaves quite easily.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Dear all
          Thank you for your comments. The rear suspension is MK 2 with Rotoflex couplings. The rear is definitely a bit on the low side (negative camber all the time) and will bottom out even on quite small bumps. I am a bit mistified as I can't believe that there is more weight on the rear wheels than the original GT6 (though the engine is further back in the chassis than the GT6. When new the camber of the GT6 was supposed to be fractionally positive (wheels out at the top and leaning in at the bottom) rather than the negative camber I have at the moment. (mote there is no lowering block fitted. The only option I can think of is to try a Vitesse spring at least I can then remove a leaf or two if necessary.

With regards to the front the angle of the steering arms does suggest that it is on the low side.

Ty - What engine is fitted to your car? If I get round to changing the front springs then you are welcome to try the ones I take out.

Comment

When we put my sons Mk1 on the road it sat a bit too low. We put one of the longer intermediate leaves from another spring in and its just about there with a 15 stone driver!.

Comment

Hi Nick, I've got a 1585cc fiat twincam in the car.

It's quite a light engine in the first place, and it's mounted as far back in the engine bay as possible. There's almost 2 feet between the grille and the block...

Consequently, there's not much weight on the front and it rides high with the stock uncut Herald springs. The steering rods definately do angle slightly down towards the wheels at rest as well.

Nevertheless, best of luck getting your car's ride height squared away. Thanks for the offer for the parts if you are not using them, too.

Cheers,
              Ty
              Attached Files

Comment

Ben

Thanks for the comments. Was the rear spring on your son's car originally from a Herald/Vitesse or a Spitfire/GT6 ?

Thanks

Nick

Comment

Sorry Nick I dont know as the car was bought in as an abandoned project but originally it was a 1200 herald and was in the process of being upgraded to a 6 cyl.
                  We rebuilt what spring was in the car which rode a bit low so robbed another spring of a long single leaf which just about does the job. The car isnt here so I cant count the number of leaves.

Comment

Working...
                  X