Steering shaft spline cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering shaft spline cutting

Does anybody know where to get a steering shaft spline cut? I need to get one cut to shorten the marlin shaft. It is the Ford 36 teeth type.

Paul

Re: Steering shaft spline cutting

Do you mean just shortening the shaft itself, or having new splines cut?

If the former, I'd have thought any metal fabricators would tackle this easily, usually by adding a sleeve over the two cut ends before welding.

Yellow Pages!

Comment

Paul
      Car builder solutions do a splined shaft in 36 teeth if that helps

Comment

I am not sure but I thought the steering shaft could not be welded by law, it must be all one piece. My Berlinetta had a welded shaft for some time and passed the MOT everytime with it insitu!!
        Roger

Comment

I must admit I am confused as to whether you can weld steering shafts. I have read that any welding on steering shafts is an instant unequivocal SVA and MOT failure. But I can’t actually see this in the SVA book.

The online MOT manual gives this:

2.2 Steering System
          C. Static Inspection
          Method of Inspection
          d. repairs, especially by welding, or evidence that excessive heat has been applied, to steering components or structural members

Reason for rejection
          d. structural repair by welding to a steering linkage component, or signs of excessive heat having been applied

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_220.htm

On the other hand Car Builder Solutions advertises steering shafts to be “Easy to extend or shorten with a welded sleeve.”

http://www.nfauto.co.uk/steering_uj.htm

Possibly the difference is that “professional” welding as part of construction is allowed but repair is not.

Safest seems to be not to weld. I have the standard Marlin extension. This can be cut down and a spline machined on to it. Then a standard UJ clamped on.

I am sure I have seen an advert for spline cutting (at vast expense) somewhere. If only I could remember where.

Paul

Comment

I bronze welded mine up with a sleeve 18yrs ago and it's never been queried or showed any sign of weakness. I used the top and bottom parts with a tube between.
            Attached Files

Comment

If its any use I have found a 80cmx14mm 36 splines at both ends shaft in amongst the left overs of YKC Club gear. No idea what it was for.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

This was used on the Montego 2-0 engine conversion that YKC developed. When the Lotus engine went in my car my father cut me a splined shaft on his milling machine in around a couple of hours. This would not be a big undertaking from any good machine shop

Comment

It's not a repair it's a fabrication.

Comment

Working...
                  X