SVA becomes IVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVA becomes IVA

This is important information for anyone still building, and is taken from a VOSA newsletter. As a result of changes to Whole Vehicle Type Approval, the SVA test is also being updated, or more accurately replaced. The new test is Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA), and will be phased in for the various categories of vehicles affected. First category will be (M1) passenger cars, which we can only assume will mean all Marlin and related cars. It will be implemented for these on 29th April 2009. Got that? 5 months time! Details of the changes to the actual test are not yet available, but part of the overall change is to bring some of the odd exemptions into line, such as testing three wheelers.

However, some other dates which you may find useful are:-
    Last application for SVA test, 28th February 09, to allow testing before the above changeover date;
    IVA applications will be accepted from 31st March 09, for testing after the changeover date;
    SVA retests will be allowed for 6 months after the first fail (as now), so potentially as late as October;
    SVA Certificate validity will cease on 31st October 09, after which an IVA Certificate will be required to register your car.

IVA examinations will continue to be carried out at the same sites as the current SVA tests. It does not sound as if this will be as big a change as the introduction of SVA, but it is to be hoped that the DVLA are better up to speed. If my experiences of registering and getting the correct information on the V5 are anything to go by, registration will be a much bigger hurdle than IVA.

I've just noticed a useful website at the bottom of the newsletter, which may give more of the detail. I've not got time to look right now, so good luck and happy hunting! Maybe a precis of the changes could be put in Pitstop? Go to [email protected] and click on the 'Vehicle Dealerships and Importers' menu option.

Re: SVA becomes IVA

Many thanks for the information Dave. If the test may alter in some way it could have major implications for cars in build. Regards Liz

Comment

Kit Car magazine from a few months back contained an article with "proposed" changes from SVA to IVA. They seemd to think that there will not be any draconian changes to the rules, just tweaking and tightening up of areas of confusion. Hopefully, the test parameters will be available soon to compare with the old SVA rules.
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Of course you spotted the deliberate error, in that a @ sign crept into the web address instead of a fullstop. I've just been to www.transportoffice.gov.uk and the provisional IVA manual is there. Unfortunately I couldn't download it - too big I guess, or I got impatient. Pity there doesn't seem to be a summary of changes from SVA. Dane - do you know which issue of KitCar covered it?

Comment

Hi Dave,
          I think it was the June 2008 issue. They were pretty upbeat about the changes which mostly seem to clarify the SVA rules. There were some extra rules but nothing a modern kit will not cope with. My Berli however......
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Also for those who now think of their cars being classic/historic FIVA (federation internationale des vehicules ancien) definition of an historic vehicle will be at least 30 years old in 2010 and using original design parts. You can read between the lines that the possibility of restricting the use of cars over a certain age will be on the cards next.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
            X