Power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering

Plumbing in a hydraulic power steering system has always seemed too much hassle to me BUT:- Did you know that modern small cars use electric power steering servoes and a recent browse on Ebay has shown that the FIAT units are not part of the rack but are incorporated into the steering column. This must surely be an easier prospect for us ageing Marlineers as the original rack is used. I have attached a photo of Ebay item 360110072206 which is the column off a Seicento and looks as if it would be rather simple to install. Thoughts???
    Pete
    Attached Files

Re: Power steering

Its a cracking idea Peter. Are you going to fit one. Its very tempting, and dose seem the ideal solution.
    Terry

Comment

Hi.
      The motorsport boys have been doing this for some while. They use the Corsa column and have sorted out the electronics already so should be easy fit for the Marlin. Be aware that if you use one from another car they all link in with the ECU as they take an electronic signal for speed etc... so you will need to trick it into thinking it is still attached. See ebay item
      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CORSA-RALLY-KIT-ELECTRIC-POWER-STEERING-COLUMN-CONTROL_W0QQitemZ270307508549QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item270307508 549&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2% 7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
      Hope this helps
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Just wondering if anyone ever did get round to fitting a Corsa electric power steering to a B series powered roadster as Jon suggested?

Comment

If you fancy power steering Steve then Rally Design have this if you can afford it....
          http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=15325&osCsid=tsbtg60i gi1pr76l5bpug2gcl3
          Attached Files
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
          - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

That sort of money is too much.
            It's a tempting project and could be technically interesting.
            Most info on the web suggests a Corsa C Post 2000 column as there are reliability issues on the Corsa B
            One stumbling block may be that these units can draw as much as 40A so it does not stop at the column itself but perhaps battery and alternator need looking at. Not to mention the absence of an ECU.
            There will be problems with control stalks as well as they are low current on the Corsa so intermediate relays will need to be fitted.
            Quite a challenge all in all.
            Hmmmmmmmm

Comment

Working...
            X