Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin copyright

Here's a quirk!
    I am building my third Berlinetta in Sweden. The preliminary build has now been approved by an inspector from The Swedish Vehicle Builders Organisation (SFRO) and all is well but for one issue. He feels that, due to copyright protection, it may not be acceptable to register the car as a Marlin Berlinetta (he suggested ¨Berlinetta Special¨ ;-).
    As it is a genuine Marlin kit and I have two previous Sweden registered Marlin Berlinettas it seems a little peculiar if this one is registered as something else. Has anyone else heard of anything like this? Any suggestions about getting round it?

Re: Marlin copyright

Hi James

This sounds like a jobsworthy to me. I don't understand what he means by copyright. You are building a genuine Berli are you not? Is it an original Marlin chassis? If I were you I'd question his judgment and wave the previous two Marlin's paperwork at him and challenge his suggestion.

Sometimes we hear from owners abroad who can't register their cars because of the kit car rules and regulations but I don't think I've heard of this situation.

Sue

Comment

I’m with Sue on this. You could not call it a Ford Mondeo because Ford has that name copyrighted. A Marlin Berlinetta is sold as a self assemble kit so it should be registered under its proper title. If you had welded up the chassis from raw steel etc I think you might be in trouble.

I imagine your best course it to get Marlin to send you a letter confirming that they have no objections.
      Paul

Comment

Hi James.
        Did you purchase the car from Marlin, Do you have the original paper work? There is no copyright it is a Marlin.

Comment

Hi and thanks for your opinions,
          Yes it is a genuine Marlin Berlinetta. The kit was collected from the Plymouth factory in 1988 and I have all the original receipts. They did unfortunately not impress the inspector. I think I will do as you suggest Paul, send a request to Marlin and take it from there.
          James

Comment

How reassuring to see that it's not just this country that suffers from 'jobsworthy' twits.

Stupid, stupid person.

Comment

When I first registered my Berlinetta in Oz in 1988, they wouldn't register it as a Marlin as the name was not on their computer. It is therefore a Mitsubishi and model type is listed as 'unknown'. The reason it is a Mitsu is because of the drive train. I had no trouble with the chassis no (see another thread)

However, the insurance company is quite happy to call it a Marlin!

Alastair

Comment

Working...
              X