Lecky fans....again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lecky fans....again!

On one trip my nice new engine started to overheat at idle. I found that the electric fan fuse had blown. My Berli has a side exhaust which drowns out the fan noise so I did not know until I switched off!
    I suddenly had one of my "great ides". I found a super micro blue LED in my toybox which I mounted very close to my temperature gauge. The connection was made to downstream of the fan relay in the fan feed cable. The LED was of course fitted with the correct series resistor and connected to earth. In the workshop it functioned correctly, indicating when the fan was powered up.
    When I took it out on to the new fast A30 the blue LED lit up and stayed illuminated at any speed above 45mph! I had forgotten that the fan is rotated by the slipstream! Being a permanent magnet motor meant that it behaved as a generator and fed a nice fat voltage to the LED.
    I have solved this by placing a 50A FRED (Fast Recovery Epitaxial Diode) in series with the fan feed, after the relay. This has cured the problem.
    Why didn't I just place the LED in paralell with the fuse? It would have been much simpler and would only light when the fan relay makes but the fuse is blown! Drat.
    I guess you all knew that the fan windmills and produces power when the car is in motion but I just suffered tunnel vision and ignored/forgot that fact!
    More blind alley wheezes soon, watch this space!
    Attached Files
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Re: Lecky fans....again!

Hi Dane,

I discovered exactly the same effect on my Sportster! When I laid out my dashboard I fitted a symetrical number of warning lamps and had one spare. So I wired the spare one to the radiator fan switch so I could see when the fan was on. Being a normal filament bulb it glows dimly at low speed and gets brighter the faster I go! I can still tell when the fan cuts in as I get a nice gust of warm air around my legs, so didn't really need the lamp after all!!
    But the dashbord looks nice!

Peter

Comment

Hi Dane. Having had several frights spotting the temp gauge high when my Kenlowe series 2000 kept blowing fuses I wired one of the bright flashing red LEDs in parallel across the fan supply feed fuse. If the fuse blows the LED starts flashing as the fan tries to draw current through it. If the fuse is ok then the LED is by-passed so does not light at all. Peter.

P.S. How did you draw your circuit diagram? Software or just a photo of a line drawing? PL.

Comment

Peter, I should have gone down your route and placed the LED across the fuse! A lot less work and a proper "warning" light instead of just an "indicator" light as I have now.
        I draw up a lot of plans for engineering items and occasional circuit diagrams using TurboCAD (15pro).
        The one I showed was just a rough quickie. Turbocad drawings can be saved in a myriad of formats including JPEG; which this one is.
        Cheers for now!

Comment

Thanks Dane. TurboCad looks an expensive bit of software :-( Peter.

Comment

peter,
            TurboCad is a great programme and compares well with the seriously expensive AutoCad.
            There are always special offers on TC. Try www.turbocad.co.uk or www.avonquest.co.uk/shop, you may well be surprised at how cheap it is for the features available. The good news is that one can save the drawings in AutoCad format if an egineering company requires that type. Generally they just want the working drawings!
            best wishes.

Comment

Thanks Dane for the info. TurboCAD v15 Deluxe £79.99 is the only one from tubocad.co.uk in my price budget at present. I tried the avonquest.co.uk but the links don't work past their home page!?? Peter.

Comment

Peter, I am twonk. I have worked with Avonquest in the past but they do not supply the software.
                I should have written www.avanquest.com/uk/ . Try them, they have a special offer of TC15 pro at around £80 for the next couple of days.
                Sorry for the c**k-up.

Comment

Working...
                X