Top Coat Stripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Coat Stripper

My Berli is well past its respray date. I think it has been sprayed at some time with a two pack type of paint. The top gel coat [if this is what it is] is progressively being removed by the effect of the sun/weather.

Can anyone advise me the name/type of stripper to remove the remaining layer of top coat WITHOUT REMOVING THE BOTTOM COAT? I have sprayed the top coat with cellulose without effect.

Cheers Roger Johnson

Re: Top Coat Stripper

Hi Roger.

The top coat will be lacquer of some sort ('gel coat' is the actual smooth - sometimes coloured - surface you get on unpainted fibreglass).

I guess it's coming off because the paint underneath the clear lacquer either wasn't prepared/cleaned properly, or it's a different 'type' of paint and they weren't as compatible as they should have been.

I don't know of any 'base-specific' (ie: cellulose/acrylic/2-pack, etc) paint stripper that will remove just the unwanted top coat, but that's not to say it doesn't exist!

At the very least, tho', you'd surely have to have a paint expert identify what the lacquer and base-coat paints are based on.

I just don't see it happening, I'm afraid.

Even sanding the top coat off will be very difficult without damaging the paintwork underneath.

Unless someone on here knows any different?

Might seem daft, but some paints aren't even resistant to petrol - perhaps you could try and see if the lacquer coat is like this and will soften - and hopefully the paint below is resistant.

Comment

Working...
    X