Securing tie-bar nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing tie-bar nuts

In the year and a half since buying my Berli, the inner nut on one of the front tie-bars (Cortina suspension) has worked loose on more than one occasion.

The nut on the front end of the tie-bar is secured by a pin through a small hole drilled in the bar, as well as being of aerolock design. The big nut on the rear of the bungy rubber washer is the one causing the trouble, and there is nothing to stop it working its way up the thread.

Apart from replacing the nut with an aerolock type (might be difficult to source, as well as time-consuming to replace), I am tempted to araldite the threads. Locktite might be another option to ensure that the nut can be adjusted as necessary.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and what's the solution?

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Securing tie-bar nuts

Use Locktite Nutlock on it. Is it possible to fit another nut as a locknut?

Comment

There is a 'crush' tube on the tie bar in between the two nuts. In theory, is you tighten both nuts up well against both ends of this tube, they shouldn't come loose.

Well, might don't at least. And that was after replacing the doughnuts.

Comment

Next time the front and back nuts are off drill 1mm holes tengentially across one of the corners on each nut. Once refixed to the car the nuts can be wirelocked - elegant and fool proof! Make sure that the wire lock is pulling in the "tight" direction and not the "loosen"! I shan't bother explaining why !

If the above is too time consuming there is normally enough thread for Hugh's locknut idea.
        Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

If had your chance again to paint your Berlinetta another colour/s what would you choose.

Comment

Thanks guys for the tips.

Lee, I assume your ref to the paint-work was meant for me. I bought the car with the existing colour scheme, and I liked it as soon as I saw it on an Internet site.

I think Berlis should be two-tone, especially with the big running-boards. I've seen a picture of one with dark blue body and silver boards. Definitely looked the business! I think it had a BMW engine, which I wish mine did. My 28 year-old Pinto is beginning to show its age.

Saw an all metallic green one on e-Bay, which the owner said he had spent over 2-grand on the paint alone. It looked hideous, and didn't get anywhere with the auction.

If you are thinking of doing yours, the club calendar gives a good selection of colour-schemes. I like the other 2-tone scheme of Keith Davidson in June. Mine is in October.

Cheers
            Mike

Comment

Working...
            X