Steering Column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Column

As part of my T16 conversion the only item outstanding (other that getting it started), is a support bracket for the steering column, which now has an extra UJ in it. Plan A didn't work and whilst Plan B looks OK before I get Mr Mig out I wondered what other members have done to support the column when adding extra UJ. I have a standard Marina column setup and I still have the servo in place...which is part of the problem...space is tight...and I want something that picks up on something solid... ;-)

Any thoughts gratefully received...

Jez
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Re: Steering Column

Jez, I'm not sure whether you have seen my motor or not. It's the RED one with the Toyota Engine and 5 speed box. The carb is the original one for the car and is a large beast. To get round it the column comes straight out to a UJ, it then goes into a tube which is greased via a nipple which is supported by an 'A' bracket, yet another UJ before it take a dive down to the rack. I will try and get some pics for you as you really do need to see it to understand how it works. As long as the nipple is greased well you wouldn't know it takes such a convoluted route.

Comment

Sounds intriguing...be keen to see some pics...my plan B involves a 5/8 rod end slipped over the column...the issue is where best to support it from...a 5/8 thread is big thing to accomodate...
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hi Jez
        I tried the rod end route. It doesnt work! You get a very lumpy movement. I used a bearing mounted in a plate, have a search on ebay for the various types of mountings available. Dave

Comment

I'll try and post some photos (at the weekend) of the work I've had to do to fit a Crossflow + twin 40s into my ex-B-Series Roadster. Steve Holder did all the steering column alteration work but the car's not been on the road since, so I can't comment on how the new steering feels.

Comment

Thanks Gents...look forward to seeing some pics if possible of how Steve has managed this. Dave, the rod-end route seems populare & well-trodden, especially by the hot rod community...but following your suggestion I've started to look at some alternatives.

Comment

Photos attached. See previous posting. Any specific questions please email me on andrew(at)andrewkb.net. Good luck!
              Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks Andrew...looks spookily similar to what I've been messing about with with, albeit I'd planned on leaving the Marina rubber coupling in situ as the angle seemed tolerable. Food for thought though...thanks again.

Comment

Hi Jez, I had to do a simlair thing on my roadster to clear the Dellorto carbs on the lotus enging. My shaft goes straight over the carbs to a UJ then a machined splined shaft to the rack. The splined shaft is held in place by a oil-lite bearing machined to the correct size with a brace coming off the chassis. I drive loads of marlins and it is by far as positive as any other car if not more positive.

Comment

Jez,
                    Try one like this
                    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pillow-Block-Self-Lube-Bearing-NP20-UCP204-20mm-Bore_W0QQitemZ320256043819QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_3?hash=item320256043819&_trksid=p3 286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1% 7C240%3A1318
                    This will give you a much better result than a rod end bearing as they are really not designed for this time of job.
                    There is a massive amount of choice for pillow block bearings....
                    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Working...
                    X