Engine ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine ID

Could anyone help me with the ID of an engine I've just bought to replace the one in my roadster. The chap I bought it off assured me that the person he bought it off had spent a lot of time and money on it prior to upgrading his kit car with a larger engine. Now the reason I'm asking members is because on the alloy rocker box there is a Marlin badge. The engine is a twin carbed 18V unit with a red cylinder head, the ID No- is 18V F-H28299 with 88 468 stamped below. I know its a stab in the dark but I would be very pleased if anyone could help. Dave

Re: Engine ID

The info I have on the Marina B series 18v engines is limited.

18 = 1800 cc
    V = Vertical position or rear wheel drive
    F = UK spec and build
    H = hIGH COMPRESSION
    On the Marina TC engine block = 12H3503
    MGB up to oct 1971 = 12H4735 on block
    MGB 12H2708 ON BLOCK 71 TO 1975
    MGB CYL HEAD had 12H2708.
    Some MGB engines were 18V as well as GB,GF,GJ,GH,GD,GK, of which are all 5 main bearing cranks fitted.

I have seen some 18v engin blocks and cyl heads with the same numbers on and other engines with different numbers, as this must be to do with slight improvement changes during production over the years. I have seen different cyl head thickness as this must be due to High or low compression types.

Comment

On the MGB 18V engine crankshaft it has a larger spigot bush/bearing compared to the 18V engine fitted to the Marina.

Comment

Cheers Bob for your reply to my enquiry. Unfortunately you seem to have miss understood my query, its probably due to the way I've put my piece forward. What I was trying to put forward was to ask if anyone recognised the engine number because I'd like to find out if the engine is as good has I was told. Kind regards Dave

Comment

Working...
        X