Sticking a rear view mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking a rear view mirror

As anyone got the secret to successfully sticking a rear view mirror to the windscreen. Over the years I must have tried about half dozen times and ultimately it always comes off. I have tried cleaning both surfaces with meths., I have gently heated the glass, I have tried contact adhesive, I have bought purpose designed pads from Halfords for the grand sum of nearly £6 a pair. "Why are they sold in pairs" I enquired. "In case the first one doesn't work" said the shop assistant. "I'll make sure I use the second one first then" says I but even that failed. I think Terry Wogan's phrase "Is it me" might well be appropriate but as I type this my mirror is once more sitting in the footwell. What's the answer?

Re: Sticking a rear view mirror

I use a suction-cup mirror.

For the most part it's very reliable. And if it does fall, you can just moisten it and stick it on again.

I think that if I'd moistened it with vaseline or something like that- it'd be stuck there even more reliably.

worth a thought, perhaps...

Cheers,
    Ty

Comment

I have never had a failure with the sticky pads sold for the purpose. however cleaning the glass before hand is a potential cause of failure.

Meths has things in it which don't evaporate and leave a thin film on the glass. The other point is that the adhesive used in the pads is UV activated and get stronger as the car is left in the sun.

"German and Swedish" sell pads used by VW and they work well.

What I have not found is a suitably nice mirror to fix permanently to my roadster.

Don

Comment

You can get a small bottle of cleaner from windscreen fitters that they use to fit bonded screens or try cleaning the screen with nail varnish remover. Make sure the green side of the new pad goes to the glass. Dont press too hard as I know a fairy elephant that broke his screen pressing the mirror on.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Keith. To avoid being dazzled at night by lorries and 4x4s I Replaced my non-dipping mirror on my Hunter with Ford part no 1644638 which is a dipping type. I think it came with the sticky pad. I used a razor blade to remove all previous adhesive, then cellulose thinners(sparingly & carefully)to remove all grease, ordinary soap NOT detergent, to remove all surface residue, then kitchen roll moistened with water to remove that. Then rub with dry kitchen towel and let it dry thoroughly. Finally after fitting with the sticky pad use some duct tape over the top of the w/screen frame to carry the weight of the mirror and DO NOT DRIVE for 24 hours while the adhesive cures! It is still on there 4 years later! Peter.

Comment

Thanks guys. I had tried acetone as well. I suspect one of the main problem was assuming it would stick right away. I hadn't thought about supporting it whilst it "went off" and I didn't realise they were cured over a period. I am going to visit a local windscreen fitter and see if I can beg or buy a pad from them rather than use Halfords again.

Comment

On my last car I used a Fiesta mirror. I filed the back to make sure he surface was rough, then cleaned the windscreen with washing up liquid. I used a locktite product from my local motor factors. It came with a little tube of glue and a mesh pad to activate the glue.
              It stayed in place for 5 years until a lorry cliped a rock and sent it through the windscreen. The mirror was then firmly afixed to fragments of glass.

Comment

I remember now that the part number that I quoted above was for a Fiesta (dipping) mirror. I chose that one for two reasons 1) The Sierra one would have been too wide 2) The Sierra one had the wrong length and angle of the support stem. As the Sierra w'screen is less upright the mirror top would have hit the glass before you could see over the hood of the Marlin. Also as we sit closer to the mirror it is at more of an angle (when viewed from above) than when mounted on a deep screen like the Sierra so this compounds the problem and again it would foul the w'screen. All worth bearing in mind when choosing a mirror for "our" cars. Peter.

Comment

Working...
                X