new owner new problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new owner new problems?

Hi i have just got a rodster with the 1.7 marina engine, but the bloke i brought it from has lost the gearbox? it was an over drive version? any idea what should be fitted eg combination marina bell houseing and ? gearbox
    tar nigel

Re: new owner new problems?

Is this the car that came from Littlehampton?
    If it was an overdrive gearbox it was probably a Dolomite sprint box, there was never a Marina overdrive unit.

It may well be worth having a look at the clutch as the triumph boxes have fewer spines than the 23 you find on a marina 1.8 and above boxes.

Depending on the gearbox originally fitted you will also need to change the length of the prop shaft.

If you log on to the Marina Owners web site (they are pretty friendly to marlin owners) or Pitstop you will find all the options you need including the mods that I did to fit a Ford Type 9 gearbox to my 1.8TC Roadster.
    I have the old Marina gearbox that was perfectly OK apart from a long range gear stick in my garage. I have not considered selling it yet!

Good luck.

Comment

yes it was. i had a moaa last year and started another project (prefect) and wanted something for the summer. barrys lost the box so i am not sure best route. eg change the lot or just get a gearbox. sorry to sound stupid but does the sprite gearox mate to the marina as barry thought it was a midget gearbox but the bell housings are very different?

Comment

Nigel,
        Welcome to the ownership of a Marlin and I hope that you are able to get the car back on the road soon, I'm sure that you will find the use of the Forum a help as it will give you access to owners who have had had to face the difficulties that you may encounter. The Forum is of course provided by the Marlin Owners Club so why not join us ? Just £15-00 subscription will bring you bi monthly colour magazines as well as other benefits.You can join on line by clicking on membership or in person at the Stoneleigh Show

Comment

have contacted the marina sight and will look at what info there is there. if anyone runs the 1800 marina box does the car run out of gears? the MOSS i had last year really needed the extra gear. still need to know the combination if anyone knows eg is it overdrive spitfire box on marina bell housing?
          tar i will be waiting to hear

Comment

Well said Tim, I hope your efforts are rewarded.
            Regards
            Danny.

Comment

Hi Nigel
              The overdrive box from 1500 Spitfires and Dollys _____wont___ fit. Because the overdrive conversion uses the original Ital bell housing that is deeper. Only the OD box from a Sprint or 1850 Dolly has the longer input shaft that will reach the clutch plate.
              You can buy from the club a Technical Tips file that covers this and other useful subjects.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

i am thinking of going for the easy route and finding a 1700 gearbox and worry about an up grade over winter. i keep looking in th classifieds but dont seem to see any for sale. so i will keep looking

Comment

How do you lose a gearbox? Has he looked down the back of the sofa?

Keep an eye out on Ebay marina gearboxes come up from time to time. The O-series engine was also used in Sherpa vans with the Rover 5 speed gearbox, but these are getting rare than hens teeth as well.

Comment

not sure how but it isnt available and have i asked!
                    i have scowered the internet for all the combination avalible but there are conflicting reports sometimes.
                    started the engine up today to give you an idea cambelt was on wrong and the distributer is in wrong (one normally get the other wrong) still hoping to get it on the road in a couple of weeks. serviced all the front brakes and suspension. stared the engine (just now needs a service) and still looking at gearbox options do an other bell housing fit or is it only marina wiht the back plate fitted anyone? or if anyone hears of a gearbox!
                    i will post a picture later as the car must be known in the club as a load of owners magazines where included.

Comment

might just be easier to buy a whole marina or chang engine and box configuration to something decent

Comment

250406322392 try this on ebay now

Comment

yes seen this and emailed the guy. also been offered a gt6 gearbox OD,flywheel and back plate think it would bolt on and just change the spigot bearing.
                          carring out other work over the next week or so, so just wait and see what turns up. still think the marina gearbox is the easiest and quickest to get car on the road.

Comment

The Marina club as designed a 5 speed conversion using the type9 box from the V6 engined cars. See
                            http://www.5speedmarina.com/

Hope this helps. It fits the 1.7 o series as well as the 1.8 and 1.3
                            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                            - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

yes have seen it but for the costs involved i would proberly change over to ford running gear.
                              still after a marina gearbox to make it straight forward. are all marina bell housings the same size eg 1.3 too the 1.8. i have been offerred a gearbox but the bloke isnt sure if its a 1.3 or a 1.8

Comment

Working...
                              X