Injector pump jet for Weber carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injector pump jet for Weber carb

In the 2 years of ownership of my Berli, I have gradually improved the way the engine performs:- new Weber 32/36, various tweaks and adjustments to the usual areas including ign timing, valve clearances, a check on valve timing.

I identified the camshaft as a Piper 270, and that might account for a slightly lumpy tickover. The only real problem remaining is a flatspot when revving up from tickover to drive away. Unless I get the revs up to 1500rpm or so, the engine can temporarily 'die' and then leap away from standstill. This is no problem with the typical Grand Prix start, but in traffic this can sometimes can be a bit awkward.

My Weber supplier "Fast Road Cars" was helpful in suggesting various adjustments and jet sizes. He sold me a 'pulse jet' which is really just a well-made brass gubbins that is inserted in the dizzy to carb vacuum pipe. This jets down the 5mm ID pipe to around 1mm or so, and delays/reduces the sudden change in vacuum applied to the dizzy when opening the throttle. I had already experimented with homemade versions, so this one was much the same but made to a higher standard.

Although the pulse jet helped, the flatspot had not disappeared entirely. The only area left to experiment with was the carb injector pump. My carb supplier was unable to locate any alternative jet sizes, in particular a slightly larger size that I thought might do the trick. Although the fittings on the side of the carb look like they could be tweaked, there is no obvious direction to go in there. Change the spring or alter the mechanism in some way?

I would be grateful to learn of a supplier of injector pump jets, or got any other ideas to sort out my flatspot?
    Cheers
    Mike

Re: Injector pump jet for Weber carb

have a look at
    www.racetep.com/websettune.html
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Link doesnt work but I found the site by googling Pinto weber flat spot.
      They suggest you may need a richer main jet.

Comment

Thanks Ben for the tip. Had a quick look through the Racetep blurb, and the guy makes a lot of sense. Pity the company is not in UK, preferably where I live in Herts.

I'll speak to my Weber supplier - Fast Road Cars. The guy who runs it appears to be fairly smart on tuning. I did speak to him about increasing the pump-jet size, but he couldn't get one to save his life! The Racetep guy seemed quite adamant that this jet should not be mucked about with, so I'll leave this area alone.

First step is to get some starter fluid, and double-check for leaks. I thought I had done all joints to a high standard, but it would do no harm to look closer. Then perhaps go for a larger main jet. I'll post a few conclusions in this message area in near future.

Cheers
        Mike

Comment

Ben
          I promised some feedback once I pursued the various ideas.
          I sprayed WD40 everywhere with the engine running, but no apparent airleak identified. So resorted to the Racetep info, and ended up buying & fitting a new Primary Main Jet (2 sizes up on the standard). Also did some tiny tweaks of the mixture screw during journeys.

Conclusion:engine does behave a bit better now, with less jerking from flat-spot. Starting the car from cold is slightly improved as well. Occasionally, the transmission winds up/down if I try to increase speed in too high a gear from low revs.

Overall, for the £3 of so for the jet, the improvement is worthwhile. Don't think I can expect to get it perfect, bearing in mind that the engine is from a 1981 Cortina, and its not got fuel injection.

Cheers
          Mike

Comment

Not bad £3 Was the Cortina ever perfect?

Comment

One thing I wish was incorporated in the transmission is some form of rubberised shock absorber. Whenever the revs, gear selection and road-speed are not ideal, the slight hesitation in revs pick-up causes the transmission to snatch badly.

Needs one of those do-nuts that used to be on Hillman Imps years ago (that dates me!) or I think on one of the early Lotus cars.

Cheers
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X