Voltage stabilizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage stabilizer

For my Marina based roadster with Smith gauges, (speedo, tacho, oil pressure, water temp, volt, amp and fuel meter is it necessary to use a voltage stabilizer?
    The Marina wiring diagram shows one, but what is the function of it?
    When it is necessary, where can I buy one?
    Had it to be an universal one or specially BL part?

Kindly regards,
    Frans Swaans

Re: Voltage stabilizer

Stabiliser is usually mounted on the back of the smiths speedo. It provides a stable voltage to the Fuel sender and the temperature gauge only and will give more stable readings.
    It can be replaced with ebay Item number: 280333716101 but occasionally the correct item will turn up but many from other vehicles will do the job.

Comment

triumph dolomite had one mounted to bulk head easy to get dont forget to earth the body though or it wont work

Comment

I swapped from Marina instruments to a set from an MG - the Marina has a voltage regulator in the instruments itself. To buy a separate "original" regulator costs £20-25 and they won't be that good as they are mechanical. Instead if you can solder take a trip to maplins and get a LM317 solid state regulator and a couple of resistors and build your own - http://home.comcast.net/~whaussmann/InstrStabilizer/Instr_Stabilizer.htm is a good example - I just built mine into a cheap plastic case again from maplins and mounted in the dash.
        Attached Files

Comment

Amgas,
          is 10V output the correct output?

Comment

I believe 10v is correct for MGB instruments, so I guess most smiths type instrumnets will be the same - I think it is lower because of the design of the mechanical regulator - There is a great reference about this in a book called "MGB Electrical Systems" - if you go to books.google.co.uk and search for "MGB Electrical Systems instrument voltage regulator" then you can read the pages relating to the iustrument voltage regulator. This is actually a really good book and although it is written with an MGB bias I suspect a lot of it carries over to most british classic cars.

Comment

The Smiths type are nominally 7.2V but they actually switch the 12V on and off to give a squarewave averageing 7.2V

Comment

I built a voltage regulator using solid state regulator, soldered to a small pcb with Lucar connectors soldered on. I didn’t put in a box but used an aluminium bracket as a heat sink and mounted it on the back of the speedo as per the original. The total cost was less than 50p.

I am using Smiths instruments (ex Spitfire) and 10 volts. All the gauges work just as they did with the original regulator. (With the usual caveat about the petrol gauge)

I can find no references to Smiths instruments working at 7.2v and plenty of references to them working at 10V.

Don

Comment

Good info here: http://www.minimaniauk.co.uk/web/DisplayID/2142/SCatagory/ELECTRICAL/DisplayType/Technical%20Information/ArticleV.cfm

Comment

Working...
                  X