Lumenition ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumenition ignition

Hi, could anyone help. I recently bought a replacement engine for my roadster, 1800 B series. The distributor is fitted with a Lumenition megnetic ignition module. The unit has two wires, I am assuming thar both connect directly to the coil. My question is, will I need a special coil. Regards Dave

Re: Lumenition ignition

I had an Aldon Ignitor...very similiar though. An uprated coil was recommended...I used a standard Lucas Sports coil, which is the gold one (DLB101 iirc) rather than basic silver version. Worked a treat.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

ooops...power of recall slipping...DLB105 is the Sports coil...101 must be the vanilla version...
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

I had the Lumenition Optronic version on a Ford Cortina some years ago and also fitted a Sparkrite high output coil which worked well. Seem to remember that they reccommended opening plug gaps up to .035" as better output would jump the bigger gap = bigger spark!

Warning! If you ever have to revert to standard points ignition make sure that you refit a standard coil or your points and condenser won't last very many miles! Peter.

Comment

Many thanks Jez and Peter, unfortunately I was a little impatient and connected the unit to my standard coil. There was no spark so I am assuming the unit is duff, I fitted the standard points assembley and the engine fire up first time. Once again many thanks for your help. Dave

Comment

For a negative earth wiring diagram for the Lumenition Optronic ignition, have a look at
            http://www.newtronic.co.uk/new/reviews/LRMOct07.pdf
            Peter.

Comment

Working...
            X