Washing Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing Line

My Berli has two pieces of washing line controlling the total opening of the boot lid. These are very nice pieces of washing line but I wonder what the rest of you use?

Many thanks Roger Johnson

Re: Washing Line

Mine has straps similar to seatbelt webbing.

Comment

I have just swaged up some 3mm steel cable and covered it with HD woven cable protection.
      Looks good but I have not fitted it yet.
      My plan is to make the ends detachable with snap connectors. I can then modify an aluminium tube to fit the spare wheel which will allow the boot lid to rotate to the horizontal position making a picnic table etc.

Yup, sad muppet!
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

you could make a candelabra out of the wheelbrace.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Donnie,
          where did you get your webbing? Ta Roger

Comment

Hi Roger.

They were fitted when I bought it. I suspect they are 'standard' fitment.

The webbing looks identical to seat belt straps, so I guess you could get some from your local breakers? One thing you will need to take care with is to make a decent fixing at each end. S-B webbing is obviously very strong, but it can tear quite easily if you fit screws through it. It'll really need folding over on itself and clamping down very securely at each end with large washers or similar to spread the load and prevent a localised tear - the boot is pretty heavy with the spare wheel on it!

Comment

Had a look-see:

The boot-lid ends are secured using the spare wheel bracket bolts - with large square washers. Boot floor also has full-width square washers and 4 small nuts 'n bolts.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Donnie,
                Great, thanks for the photo. This is a vast improvement but it looks to me like there is a lot of strain on the floor of the boot. I will give this a go.

Does anyone want to buy some old washing line!

Comment

Yes please! Might be enough for my 'smalls'...

Comment

Just use steel fishing line. No problems in 21 years! Just don't let the boot lid drop open.

Comment

Working...
                    X