Engine cuts out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine cuts out

Hopefully someone has had this problem, driving along in 1800tc marina based marlin the engine cuts out. This happened yesterday when hot, and seem to get worse the hotter it got. Thought it might have been the fuel pump, but seems ok. Anyone an idea of what it could be? Please

Re: Engine cuts out

Not familiar with the Marina but if pump is on the side of the engine block it sounds like fuel vapourisation. Yes the fuel is boiling inside the pump! Try wrapping a wet cloth around the fuel pump. As air flows over it when you are travelling along the cooling effect of the evaporating water will cool the pump body. If this works look to insulating and isolating the pump from all heat sources. Fit a baffle to keep ex-radiator hot air away from the pump; Cut any metal fuel pipes either side of the pump and insert a length of rubber petrol hose; Duct cooling air onto the pump. Some Classic cars had a very thick(6.0mm) fibre gasket between the fuel pump and the block for this very reson! Peter.

Comment

Should also be insulation blocks between carbs and manifold, however they have been omitted or thinner ones used in order for carbs to sit within engine side panels.Think MGB's and like aso had a heat shield betwen carb and manifold that also provided a fixing point for throttle return springs. An electric pump may help in that you can mount it away from heat source, but it will need to be high suction low pressure if you mount on bulkhead ie Morris Minor type not Mini[which was mounted on rear subframe]and was low suction /high feed

Comment

I agree that it sounds like it might be fuel vaporisation. Will it start reasonably easily when it happens? I would remind you of the version of Sod's law that applies to engines. 'If the symptoms suggest that the problem lies with the fuel system then the real problem will be with the ignition and vice versa' See the earlier thread concerning rotor arms.

Comment

i fitted a new fuel pump.and tin foil round fuel pipes, been okay since.

Comment

I suffered from fuel evaporation when I had a roadster and it was hot. Fine when the weather cooled down.

Comment

Another problem could be what I had on my vintage tractor similar symptoms, the condensor in the distributor. Would start and drive for about half hour then would cut out then leave it a minute then start up and be fine for a bit then cut out, so on and so on and the time between it stopping got shorter and shorter until eventually i towed it home. Needless to say after this rather embarrasing defeat in the middle of Hertford i have changed the condensor and points on my tractor, kit car, and landrover.

Comment

hi Ryan dont sound like rotor arm these just pack up try, coil condenser, plug lead if its not fuel pump make sure you have good earths to distubuter and condenser, good luck john

Comment

Working...
                X