Wobbly headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wobbly headlights

Does anyone else have problems keeping the headlight pods from moving around ? I've just got them secured with by a single large bolt and shakeproof washer. Well, the washer isn't that shakeproof and they start to move around. I had thought about a small chrome sleeved bolt between pod and inner wing to secure them but don't really want to drill more holes. Any ideas ? Thanks.

Re: Wobbly headlights

I don't know if the base of your lamp is like mine but if it is, I put a large "penny washer" above the badge bar welded flange and the lock washer underneath and that has lasted 12 years.

Just out of interest, how much did it cost to get your car shipped to Oz and how long did it take. I assume it was in a container. Did you have any problems?
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Keith. Sounds like I just try re-jigging my arrangement of flat and lock washers.
      Re. freight to Aus. Well, I can't really give a straight answer. I had a company move so they paid for a half-container for our household goods (which I was amazed to find was more than enough for a family of 4 - maybe we're frugal). The Berli took up the other half which I paid for (the Company wouldn't pay for cars) - 2520 pounds. This is about what the car is worth (it starts and goes fine but isn't exactly concours) so you can imagine the debate with 'er-indoors. Anyway, heart won over head and it now enjoys the sunshine. That was only the start of it of course: Australian road compliance rules.........

Comment

Try using a small rubber washer under the mount so that the mount gets some grip between the two metal parts.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

From inside the "dome" (I call them sabrinas!), fit the bolt and penny washer plus a large amount of epoxy. This will securely anchor the bolt when set. When mounted use a suitable dome nut and crown washer. Looks good and stays fixed.
          Good luck down under!
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Stu

Welcome to Oz and bumpy roads. I just use a flat washer with a lock washer and remember to tighten every 6 months. I have MGB lights so not v bright - like most MGB drivers!!

To keith H re exporting cars: I am currently importing a car from UK and the company I'm buying from up in Yorkshire, which is used to exporting cars to Oz, says they can do it for me for 800 pounds plus 50 pounds insurance. They use a roll on roll off facility at Southampton rather than a container and the ships leave every 2 weeks. It's not deck cargo either!

If you've owned the car for more than 12 months you can import the car under the Personal Import Scheme and therefore don't have to meet so many Australian Design Rules. My car was built here and ADRs were a nightmare. Just Google 'Importing Cars to Australia' and you'll get all the guff.

Any more info, just e-m me at AlastairBrowneatbigpond.com

Alastair

Comment

Working...
            X