Dash Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash Board

Hi All, I wont to change my dash board so I'm looking for ideas, has anyone got pictures they can post here or send to my email ( [email protected] ). My dash is fitted with MK3 Cortina dials the ones in tunnels ( for which I need a rev counter ).

Thanks in advances

Terry

Re: Dash Board

As I had to go through SVA, I got my instruments from ETB. Made the dash out of Mahogany.

Thanks
    Huw

Comment

Terry
      Have a look at the two articles below in the berlinetta forum:
      Improving dash & switches
      Rgds
      Mike
      Dashboard re-design, stalks and all!.

Comment

Hi Terry.

Further to my email, here's one of the designs I found a while ago which stuck me as being pretty nifty. Perhaps slightly 'too much' for my taste with too many clocks squeezed in, but it's a nice original idea using a dominant central console.

http://www.southwaleskitcarclub.co.uk/linseys%27berlinetta.htm

Comment

tEST photo load for Huw
          Attached Files

Comment

Terry Good Luck
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi to all, A big thank you to all who sent me photos. I haven't made up my mind yet of how it's going to turn out but I have a better idea of what I'm doing. I'll let you know how I get on.
              Terry

Comment

Photo now attached I hope!!! Better late than never.
                Attached Files

Comment

Very neat. I like it!

Comment

I guess we all like our own ideas but some things for you to consider.
                    Make sure you don't position warning lights so they are hidden by the steering wheel
                    Think about fitting a glove box (lockable)
                    If you put a genuine clock in it might tick away your battery over winter if you don't use the car
                    If you want to have a go at Burr Walnut veneer (like what I did) make sure you use the right glue. I obviously didn't and even after 7 coats of varnish it still eventually bubbled (and don't forget to veneer the back as well)
                    Don't forget to add in a cigarette lighter socket to charge your phone / satnav etc
                    Attached Files

Comment

All good advice.

Just keeping looking, Terry - mainly, I'd suggest, at production dashes particularly from early-ish sports cars as I think they will most likely suit the Berli. There's no shortage of variety from that era either, so you shouldn't feel constricted in your choice. Bear in mind that professional designers have spent many hours arriving at these designs & layouts - capitalise on their efforts as much as you can!

I'd also try and resist the temptation to over-egg the pudding by sprinkling lights, switches et al all over the place - try keep it organised and contained. Less is often more. All the examples shown above are very yummy indeed.

Finally, a trim panel fitted to the bottom profile of the dash helps to finish it off and make it look more 'production', in particular by disguising the 'flat panel' look of many dashes when seen through an open door. I almost went 'silly' when starting with my design - easy to do when presented with literally a blank panel - before settling for a very conventional, unfussy and almost boring layout. One semi-circle of idiot lights; one switch panel...

I'd also suggest you consider getting hold of a separate Cortina instrument set (I got one on eBay for around £12 delivered) to work with as this will allow you to build your new dash whilst keeping the car on the road. It's quite possible for this type of 'project' to drag out for many months if you have other demands on your time...

It's a great project, tho'!

(It will also easily pay for itself; I've little doubt that the work I carried out on my Berli's interior contributed a fair bit to it selling for £3,600 recently. The Dutch dealer who bought it is currently adversing it on his website - for 6,960 euros...)

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X