Groaning brakes update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groaning brakes update

Having thought about it for long enough, I stripped the offending disc brake down to find very badly pitted pistons which are reluctant to retract to their proper "off" position. I don't think it would be wise to attempt cleaning them up. I have looked on E bay for new calipers but just when I want them they are not there. I have got 1 or 2 phone numbers to try on Monday morning but any other possible sources would be greatly appreciated. Just one thing - is it bad practice to replace one caliper, should I do the pair while I'm at it?
    Franklin, Leicester

Re: Groaning brakes update

It's OK to change just one caliper. If the pistons and seals in the other caliper are OK and moving freely, then the clamping pressure will be the same as the new one.

Comment

It is possible to get stainless steel pistons for most common calipers and seal kits.
      Try Bigg Red
      www.biggred.co.uk
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Got a new caliper today,£41 from local parts factor. Easy job to fit but now the ******* thing wont bleed!!!!! Pumped loads of clear fluid through but no joy. Must be a rogue air bubble in there somewhere. When I clamp the flexi pipe up to isolate the new caliper, the other 3 corners give rock hard pedal.
        Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Try clamping the flexible then open the bleed nipple and push the pads back as far as the will go so that you push the air and fluid out of the caliper.Close the bleed nipple then release the clamp and pump the pedal until the pads move back against the disc. If necesary repeat!

Comment

make sure that the bleeding screw is located on the top. Otherwise you won't get the air out... (then the caliper is supposed to be fit to the other side of the car; so left and right do make a difference)

Comment

OK, thanks for these tips. Will give check them out. As regards the bleed nipple position, the original one was at the front of the caliper whereas the new one has it at the back but I think the height is the same.
              Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Pierre, ignore what I said above. I have just checked and you are right, the bleed nipple is at the bottom. I have phoned the factor and they agree, they have given me the wrong side!. Fun and games!
                Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Pierre, ignore what I said above. I have just checked and you are right, the bleed nipple is at the bottom. I have phoned the factor and they agree, they have given me the wrong side!. Fun and games!
                  Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Franklin, Leicester

Comment

I found out the same way and about a liter of brake fluid wasted...but now I'll never make this mistake again :-)

Comment

Only a litre? At least we can use the old fliud as paint stripper. I went back to supplier but they couldn't locate a near side unit so they are going to get my old one re-conned. They gave me a free 5 litre can of brake fluid.
                        Franklin, Leicester

Comment

On the road again! With the bleed nipple at the top the job was easy,in fact I did it on my own by pressing the pedal down with my left hand while watching the tube fill up with fluid. When it was passing no more air I let the pedal go and tightened the nipple up. Thanks for all help on this especially Pierre.
                          Franklin, Leicester

Comment

good to hear that you're on the road again :-)
                            you're welcome!

Comment

But has it curred the groaning noise?

Comment

Working...
                              X