Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to a new home

Hi Everyone

I have been told by my nan to get the car off her drive or sell it. So obviously I have found a new home for it.

The only problem I got is moving it, I can hire a trailer from GT towing but they are quite expensive. Or my friend has a recovery dolly but im not sure what the rules and regs are using one of these towing a car that is not insured, taxed or mot'd. Does anybody know?

Cheers guys.

Re: Moving to a new home

Tom,
    I think it depends on your insurance regarding trailers.
    I think the car you are towing becomes a trailer, if so then it all comes down to weight of and combination of car and trailer.
    Terry

Comment

Chance it, if you hadn't noticed Police patrols have been replaced by speed cameras and there a few on the roads. As an example my brother recently moved and brought back 3 cars from the US - drove all 3 in convoy with no number plates across the south-east no problems!

Comment

Hi Tom,

I found the following statement on the trailer and Towing Advisory Website.
        Hope it helps.

There was evidence of much confusion concerning the recovery, as opposed to transportation, of cars.

The law considers any towed vehicle to be a "trailer". Thus a vehicle being towed with the aid of either an "A" frame or a towing dolly, is considered to be a trailer unit.

If the weight of the trailer unit exceeds either 750 kg, or ½ the weight of the towing vehicle, or the towing vehicle manufacturers stated unbraked towing capacity, whichever is least; then it is required to be fitted with brakes that operate on all wheels.

TTAS is not aware of an "A" frame unit that is able to effectively apply the brakes of the towed vehicle.

A towing dolly may be equipped with brakes, but only on it's own wheels, the other axle of the vehicle mounted on it will not have operable brakes - so by definition it is not a braked trailer - and should never exceed either 750 kg, or ½ the weight of the towing vehicle, or the towing vehicle manufacturers stated unbraked towing capacity, whichever is least.

Legislation does allow for the recovery of a vehicle, from a position where it constitutes a hazard, to a safe-haven. However, to proceed beyond the first safe-haven becomes transport, as opposed to recovery. In this instance a car transporter trailer is required, whereby the entire vehicle is carried upon the trailer (or towed vehicle) the trailers axle(s) being equipped with the requisite brakes.

There is an exception to the foregoing in relation to the legitimate use of recovery equipment by recognised Vehicle Recovery Operators, whose vehicles will usually be taxed accordingly.

Regards Austin

Comment

Working...
        X