alternative radiator choice 1800cc marina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative radiator choice 1800cc marina

As some of you already know I have some troubles keeping the 1800cc Marina based engine cool at higher RPM. The radiator capacity is too small; therefore I'm looking for another radiator.
    Upgrading the present one is quite expensive (about €300) so I'm looking for an alternative.

Did anybody ever use another type than the the Viva one?
    I was thinking of a Renault 5 1.7 or GT Turbo (OE Part Number : 7701.032.542) or maybe a BMW E30 320/318 (OE Part Number : 1709496).
    I think these might fit, but not sure... Other suggestions? Viva radiators are not common in the Netherlands, therefore I try to find another one to do the job.
    All suggestions welcome :-)
    Thanks a lot in advance!!
    Attached Files

Re: alternative radiator choice 1800cc marina

Do you have a standard viva radiator - it is pretty easy to get them re-cored with a higher capacity cooling matrix, should be possible to overcome any problems - recently had mine done and cost around £110. Having said that if someone could come up with an off the shelf alternative that was the right size and capacity I guess it would be cheaper.

Comment

Hi Pierre. 1800cc and you think you've got problems! I am still researching more cooling for my Rover V8 3.9i Hunter! It has the 3 core Marlin rad and also approx 1 litre "bulk tank" in the heater return line, fitted by Marlin at POB, to increase the heat soak and overall coolant capacity. My research to date has pointed, for my engine, to either an extra rad under the front scuttle or a replacement aluminium one. Looking at cars that have a V8 fitted are the Caterham Seight (V8 engine) and the MGRV8 (3.9i Rover lump). Worth checking out the o/all dimensions. They may just fit if the filler neck is blanked off?
      Meantime I have had considerable improvement in running temp since fitting a "Ram Air" Duct. Imagine a kitchen drawer stood on end, made from duralumin, with the bottom missing, fitted between the rad core and the g/fibre nose moulding and you get the idea. Any air that goes thro the rad grille has to go through the rad core. Peter.

Comment

I agree with "Amgas". This is a popular and successful way forward for this problem which has cropped up many times. Fortunatly, my humble 1275cc engine works well with the Viva rad but has been damp round the bottom tank recently. For the time being a tin of Radweld will suffice but next winter I will have to face up to it properly. While I'm at it I would like to make it easier to fill by putting a neck extension on. Is it much of a job to take the rad out? Pierre, see my last comment on groaning brakes saga.
        Franklin, Leicester

Comment

I bought a Mercedes 190 radiator (for 1.8 and 2.0L)with about the same measurements. Only the radiator has no filler cap/option. However today in my quest I found a very old triumph dolomite at one of the scrap yards I visited. I recognized my gauges :-) Under the bonnet I have seen a expansion bottle which I need to collect soon.

Which hose should I use for placing the expansion bottle to using a T-splitter? Top hose going to the thermostat or the bottom one going to the water pump?

I'll keep you updated; might take a while cause going on a holiday soon...
          Cheers Pierre

Comment

You can come off the filler/pressure cap as shown here.
            I haven't as I already had an overflow tank with a pressure cap fitted, but I put theis filler in to make topping up easier.
            Attached Files

Comment

There are later MGB thermostat housings that have a take off for a tube to an expansion bottle. If you use a Marina style bottle it will have a convenient filler cap.

Comment

I have recently had the Chevette radiator in my 1.8 modded with 3 cores and it cost about £120.00.

There are loads of suggestions in old Pitstops, many mentioned above but there are several suggestions.
                1. Block off all the alternative airflow route around the rad so that all possible cooling air flows through and not around the rad.
                2. Instead of usual antifreeze concentrations, fill with neat antifreeze, a trick used in WWII Spitfires and it helps with Marlins.
                3. Fit a fan, any fan, make sure it pulls air from the front. Even a plastic MGB fan will move air around and out of the engine compartment though it will be a long way from the radiator.
                4. Recore the radiator as above, perhaps expensive but ultimately effective.
                5. Expansion bottles will retain the water so will keep the rad at optimum water level. Good, but if the air flow through the rad is too low it will not stop overhearting in itself.

Comment

thanx everybody for all the suggestions. I try to include as many as possible :-)
                  first, I'd like to try and install the mercedes radiator (3 core aluminium for 2000cc) and see if that will work [if it won't I can still recore the old one]. Considering the Mercedes rad I still have to do some small modifications on the hose connections: from side to the back.
                  Anyway, that's all for when I'm back from my holidays...
                  Thanks again!!

Comment

Might not be a rad problem. I shelled out £300 for an aluminium custom rad and to my horror when I fitted it made absolutely no difference.

Finally got the car to run reasonably cool by fitting an electric water pump - at even more expense!

Comment

I heard that an old landrover rad was a good option? Has anyone had experience with it - wasnt a similar one used in the morgans? I dont know - just asking :-)

Comment

Hi Pierre, In the manual they state that a Landcrab (Austin 1800) radiator will also suffice for the larger engines. They are normally like rocking horse doo, but stangley enough there is one on Ebay (don't all jump) item number 200366551740

Comment

Working...
                        X