Replacement Engine for Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Engine for Roadster

Dear All, albeit a very general question but does anyone have any suggestions as to what the best engine would be to replace my 1800cc Marina lump? I'm dreaming of sticking a v6 or v8 in but obviously the roadster is a little tigh on engine bay space? What about a ford or bmw engine? As you can tell I really dont know where to start and wold kile to know if there is a 'popular choice' amongs Marlin Roadster owners!

Re: Replacement Engine for Roadster

Various engine options have been used in the roadster. Many options in Pitstop, the club magazine, so bite the bullet and join the club or at least buy the tech tips from club goods.

None of the engine options are really plug and play, The nearest being fitting an Alfa or Ford Pinto powerplant and transmission

Searching this forum, created in 2004 many years after most Marina Roadsters were built will show lots of options including Jez Cox's and Chris Dow's where more modern powerplant installations have been successfully installed in marina based cars.

Your biggest problem fitting a V8 or any other powerplant will be sourcing and fitting a recon Dolomite back axle or one that can take the higher bhp.

An Ally block V8 is around the same weight as a B series, but with increased power you should be looking at upgrading the front brakes, not an easy option within the confines of 13" rims and Marina suspension.

Lots of other issues will rear their heads, clutch operation, brake master cylinders, exhaust and steering are issues that will have to be resolved.

Please think about joining the club if you intend on keeping the car.

Comment

Andy, i'm looking into engine options myself. Currently running a 2 litre fiat twin cam. Looking at a pinto replacement as theres somewhat more options as to tinkering with it. If you're after a v6 the ford 2.8 v6 should make a good option. Sized one up and it fits well with the type 9 gearbox. Never went ahead with it in the end as the power isn't great for the displacement.

Comment

VAG 1.8 20V without or with turbo coupled with an adapterplate to a MT75 gearbox
        125 bhp till 225 bhp standard

Comment

I am fitting the Ford 2.0 DOHC I4 along with MT75 gearbox.
          Electronic fuel injection (Batched multi-point)
          Power: 123 hp (92 kW) at 5500 rpm.
          Torque: 174 N·m (128 lb·ft) at 2500 rpm.
          Redline: 5950 rpm
          :-) Its fitting in much better than the V8 I was trying to squeeze in!

Comment

@ Sam W, Can I have/buy your Fiat when you done with it?

Don

Comment

There have been several V8 SWB Roadsters, and in fact still are some o the road. Also V6 Ford, and BMW 4 and 6 cylinder.
              Toyota,Fiat to name but a few. Now there are RoverK series,
              Ford Zetec and Duratec, and of course Triumph. There are most likely many other engines fitted, but the ones I have listed are cars that I have seen. The Ford cross flow was a very popular engine as well. Good Luck with your choice.
              Regards
              Danny.

Comment

Don, sorry just read your message, yeh your more than welcome to have it for free if i do go for a new engine over the winter. I'll have joined the club in october so you'll be able to get my contact details through the magazine i believe?

Comment

Working...
                X