Pinto Misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinto Misfire

I a misfire problem with a Pinto. It hapens only when the engine is hot, usually when I have done 20 to 30 miles, and starts with an occasional misfire that gets worse until the engine cuts out. It will not restart until the engine has cooled down a bit.When it restarts it will run for another 20 miles before a repeat performance. I have changed the condenser,plug leads, points, coil,rotor arm, and Webber 32/36 carb.If anyone else has had a similar problem I would appreciate a call on 014940873298.

Re: Pinto Misfire

Hi John

Check your fuel pump pipes for leakage. I replaced mine the other day and a similar problem has almost been eradicated.....

Comment

Hi John,
      This is just a thought but when you fill up with petrol is there a wooosh sort of sound when you take the cap off. It may be that the breather tube on the filler neck or the breath hole in the cap is blocked, this will cause a vacuum in the fuel tank, as fuel is being use this will over come the power of the fuel pump effectively causing fuel starvation. When its been left for a while with the engine off the vacuum disperses and you start all over again.
      Just a thought
      Terry

Comment

hi john i'm running a pinto, and have had some fuel evaporation causing a missfire, i wrapped all the fuel lines in insulation, cured. another thaught, is it running an old head, and the valve clearances closed up, unleaded will do this after a while. as well trere was a thread about some very poor intermotor points and condensors floating about last year that were like that from new!! good luck Merv

Comment

try the dizzy cap low tension lead run a earth wire to condenser, john

Comment

Working...
          X