Durafix anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durafix anyone?

Has anyone had much experience with durafix. I am going to try and make a swirl pot from alluminium tube and some flat ally plate. THe pot isnt under pressure so as long as its fluid tight it should be ok. Any advice?
    Cheers

Re: Durafix anyone?

Cameron

It is possible to solder/weld aluminium yourself. At the last Stoneleigh show, there was a guy selling a special aluminium solder which works really well.
    If you are interested I will see if I can find the company details? It was not cheap - £25 for one metre, but this would weld a significant length
    Mike

Mike

Comment

cheers mike that would be useful. Even at that price, it would still be cheaper than buying one (around £60 - £100). And I can make it to the size I need.

Comment

Hi Cameron...I've used Lumiweld in the past, which is the earlier generation of Durafix. It is not easy...the guys on trade stands always make it look so but it takes patience & practice. The problem I found was the solder runs all over the place...and you are continually running the risk of melting the ally workpiece. It works eventually though...!

These later generation of sticks are allegedly better...you don't need to key the workpiece with a stainless rod, better tolerance to oxidation etc...but even so don't underestimate the effort involved...you will have to add at least 3 spigots for in/out/vent and these will be fiddly to do.

I bought my swirl pot off ebay...and looking today can see various items...going rate is about 45 + post for a 1 litre pot...and you can send it back if it leaks..! Save time on making it and focus on other stuff whilst waiting for it to arrive..!

Cheers

Jez
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hi Jez, at around £45 it is probably not cost effective to make it oneself. with the inherent leakability too. hmmm, will have a look on fleabay later. Whilst I am there I will look for a header tank for the coolant thats small enough to fit in somewhere! Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X