Marina front disc brake options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marina front disc brake options.

It will be an interesting excercise, and based on info that I found during the front brake conversion and my sprint axle install, perhaps the following will help. I do not claim this is an exhaustive list.

The Caterham/westfield cars websites may help as they used the Marina/Ital axle.

In order to fit inside a 13" wheel, the max disc diameter can be 240mm.
    Larger discs could be used but note must be taken of brake balance issues so there may be no mechanical benefit.
    Bearing in mind relative benefits and sixe limitations, solid discs will be preferable.

I used the database
    http://www.national-auto.co.uk/catafiles/brake/nbd.pdf
    to search for appropriate discs. PCD of fixings is irrelevant as so few cars use Marina sizes. The overall height and centre bore are important.
    Try to use a rear disc and caliper combination from a volume production car, as the caliper will have pads designed to fit the disc brake surface and others may not be compatible, it will also make the parts cheaper.
    The Brembo website will allow you print out design drawings of the chosen disc to confirm all the important dimensions

Look for an overall height that will place the caliper in such a position that a flat mounting plate can be designed (for economy) and be bolted using the existing backplate bolts.
    You may end up scouring your local dismantlers looking for suitable candidates. If you are modding your front brakes as I did, perhaps a Clio will provide the rears.
    CAUTION. A custom caliper bracket may only use 3 fixings not 4 and you are likely to put greater stress on them. HT bolts will be essential. It may be worth bolting and welding a bracket in place or even adding another bolt fixing.

Most rear calipers come with additional handbrake cable operators, make sure that the angular position of the caliper does not route the handbrake cable to conflict with springs, shock absorbers, mounts or any other obstruction.
    I do not think it matters significantly on a modded road car if calipers are leading or trailing. but make sure that the bleed valve is higher, to let the air out easily. You may be able to swap the caliper sides to do this.

Modern cars generally use M10x1 hydraulic connections, flexible hoses will be needed to allow the caliper piston to move. This may be achieved by a single flex braided hose
    between the two calipers and a new hose from axle mount to first caliper.

Comment

Re: Marina front disc brake options.

I believe there is a fundamental flaw in the above threads that compromises safety.
      No disclaimer can absolve me of any consequence, moral or otherwise.

Since I am the author, designer and as far as I know the only one who has completed this mod, I must be afforded the right to have the thread deleted until I have taken some further advice and resolved the issue.

I have previously requested, several times, that the Moderator delete the complete thread. So far my request has not been granted, putting me in an unwarranted position.

The header of this forum makes it clear that posts are the personal opinions of members and that the Club takes no responsibility for the advice offered.

I wish I could absolve myself of responsibility so easily.

Comment

Working...
      X