Roadster tie bar pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster tie bar pads

Hi,My tie bar pads (as they are referred to in the haynes book) have perished! one has even come off! Giving a very pronounced knock when braking (so I put the car in the garage!)Its a 1300 A series marina based roadster (long wheel base)Can anyone suggest where to get some or what alternatives there are?many thaksJon Ballard

Re: Roadster tie bar pads

Hi Jon,
    Superflex list them @ £3.14 each + vat (4 required)
    www.superflex.co.uk
    Follow the Proucts by vehicle Morris Marina

Regards Austin

Comment

The purchase of a complete set of Superflex bushes for the front and the rear suspension, though expensive will transform the handling of a Roadster.

I was surprised to find that the rear leaf springs had been brushing the seatbelt fixing bolts, not normally visible with the tyres in place. All due to perished leaf spring bushes. I would suggest replacing the whole rear set.

New rear bushes reduce the Marina's tendancy to rear wheel steer.

Its the best single improvement that can be made to perhaps 25 year old suspension bushes, both front and rear.

PS I do not own shares in Superflex.

Comment

Have to agree with Steve. Before you replace the bushes, check that the tie-bar hasn't elongated the hole in the mounting plate like mine did !

Comment

Trevors coments on tie bars are important. Not only might you have an elongated hole, but also a waisted tie rod. The hole can be rebuilt with a bit of welding but new tie rods are very rare they could be built back up with careful welding and turning them in a lathe to the correct diameter. Some have made special tie rods with rose joint bearings, looking very nice and modern.

I found a picture of the offending seat belt bolt before I fitted new bushes and cleaned things up a bit.
          You can just make out the polish effect where the spring has rubbed it.
          When you jack the back of the car up with the wheel off, the spring hangs so low you wonder how it makes contact.
          It could be the source of that strange noise from the back end when going over bumps.
          Certainly if you find it on your car its time to invest in new Superflex bushes all round at the back as something is quite loose.
          Attached Files

Comment

Superflex front and rear made a great difference to my Roadster - a well justified expense.
            Hugh Cumming in Cornwall has made his own front tie rods, I'm sure he will happily send you details.
            Rgds
            DC

Comment

Had a tie rod rust thru on an old All-Aggro once...not fun crossing the carriageway before ending up in a ditch...

Fully support comments re poly bushes - I have an all polyurethane front (including eyebolts and shocker bushes)...and the front feels like a go-cart now.
              Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
              Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hi Jon,
                When you've sorted out your tie rods why not join Marlin Owners Club. By joining after 01/10/09 £17-50 buys you membership thro' until 01/01/2011, That will get you 8 magazines, discounted insurance, discounted parts, fellowship and you will be supporting this website. You can join by clicking on Membership on this website

Comment

Working...
                X