Any electrical boffins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any electrical boffins?

I've just noticed a strangeset-up on my Sportster. The lights all work properly with no key in the ignition, but when it's turned on, the sidelight goes off. Headlights work fine. This means I can't drive with sidelights. No a big deal then, but irritating. I don't have a wiring diagram, but is this normal?

Re: Any electrical boffins?

There is a terminal on the Ford ignition switches that is only "live" when the ignition os "off". Used for alarms etc. Not sure what make your switch is but if similar it's worth checking that the sidelights aren't connected to that by mistake instead of the proper terminal. Try typing in Google "wiring diagram xx sidelights" where xx is your wiring donor vechicle name. Peter.

Comment

Thanks Peter. My ignition switch is Ford (of some sort), so will try to check this out.

Comment

You'r not supposed to drive on just sidelights. If you need lights it should be dipped headlights.Do the sidelights come on with the headlights when the ign. is on?
        With the ign. off they should come on to allow you to park in the dark.

Comment

Sorry to take issue with you Hugh, but you MAY use sidelights in streets that are lit and (usually) subject to a 30mph speed limit.
          However if that is sensible or not is another question.

Comment

Some Ford lighting switches switch earth and not live. My Cortina system does just that. Some Sierra systems did the same. This may cause lighting relays to misbehave.
            Without knowing the origins of the switches and units in your system I cannot help more than this. Good luck with it.
            The terminal on my Ford ignition switch is purely an aux live feed function for radio equipment and suchlike. I use it to allow a priming pump to be used to fill a swirl pot if the car has not been run for a while.
            Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Andy

It may depend upon the donor electics. There was a trend arround 1990 to have vehicles with dim-dip headlamps. This was to prevent driving on just sidelamps. If the car was driven with just sidelights then the headlights were also illuminated at a lower intensity. This was no doubt achieved with a relay some where in the circuit. There was also a huge resistor to drop the voltage and produce the dim headlight. Stopping the engine would result in just sidelights. It is possible you have part of this type of system incoporated in your car.

Have fun

Comment

Working...
              X