Pitstop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pitstop

Replacement copy arrived today - many thanks, Sue.

Off t'bog...

(C'mon - admit it - that's where 85% of them get read...)

Sorry - too much information

Comment

Not received mine yet and I still have big snags gaining access to the web site too!
      Reminded of the Human League from 1982......or just paranoia?

I'm off to fix my speedo with a lump hammer and a yard of binder twine. Will it work? No, but I'll feel a lot better afterwards! (Better, that is, until MoT time comes around....blast!).

Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

mine arrived thismorning, South Linc, but post not been on strike for at least two weeks, is there a problem at the dispatch end?

Comment

Just back off hols 2 hrs ago........I haven't even received an empty envelope, let alone a Pitstop.
          If it doesn't arrive soon will need to book into a rehab unit
          XXX
          DC

Comment

Not received a copy yet.

Comment

Nor me. :-(

Comment

All

We have been in touch several times over the last couple of weeks with the Printer and the situation is this:

The latest issue of PITSTOP and the labels were received well in time for the print run. The magazine was printed and enveloped however during the enveloping, it was discovered that there was a defect on the back page. All the copies therefore had to be checked and it was discovered that the latter part of the print run had been ruined. Those that were OK were posted on time and the others had to be re-printed. The defect was caused by faulty machinery that has since been fixed by an engineer.

During the checking process, somehow, we don't know how, some of the envelopes either didn't get a magazine or were not sealed so the magazine wasn't secure. We are still in conversation about this.

Coupled with the fact that the postal strike has affected SOME areas, the issuing of this months PITSTOP has been somewhat fraught.

The Printer is very apologetic and contrite and has assured us that it won't happen again.

The committee will keep an eye on the matter and if necessary take appropriate action if anything like this occurs again.

In the meantime, if you are still waiting for your magazine, please email Sue so she can issue you with an electronic copy and we will send a hard copy from our spares collection subject to availability.

Please accept my apologies that you have been inconvenienced.

Comment

Hi All
                  I didn't know everyone got so excited about receiving Pitstop, as good as it is.

However, on behalf of the postmen of the country, can I put a few things in perspective? So far most of the strikes have been localised - London, Stoke and a few other places. This week there will be a national strike, affecting collections on Thursday, and deliveries on Friday. The postmen haven't taken this decision lightly, as they lose a day's pay, and still have to deliver the post next day. Potentially double the normal weight, on what is already a very arduous job. So the likely effect is that some post will take an extra day, maybe two, to reach you. I would suggest this is neither here nor there to individuals, and only of small matter to firms - it's mostly bills and junk anyway (not Pitstop!).

What's the strike about, I hear you say? Pay? Not really, though everyone can use a bit more. Pensions - certainly part of it, as the fund is in a mess. The main gripe I believe is the awful working conditions, which are getting worse at every turn. Royal Mail - as an organisation, and through the local managers - show no respect to the "foot soldiers", and over the last few years have increased the workload to the point where there is no slack in the system. When the daily load can vary +/- 50% from a nominal average anyway, this is asking for trouble. The latest proposal is to collapse some duties, which means only having say 9 walks where there used to be 10 in order to save money. They may be able to get rid of some staff, but the remainder will have to do more work and as a result claim more overtime. Does that make sense?

The current RM management were put there to oversee privatisation, but that is now on hold. So what do they do? Make the postmen so miserable that they come out on strike, that discredits the union, which makes it easier to get rid of that, and makes the sale more attractive to potential buyers. The result is everyone blames the postmen, and eventually you get a postal business, not a postal service.

Remember, it wasn't the postmen that got rid of 2nd post, that was Royal Mail. It isn't the postmen that make the only delivery later and later, again that's RM, by making start times later, and increasing the workload. And it isn't the postmen who've introduced so-called competition, we'll blame the government for that one! You don't know the competition scam? The likes of TNT and UK Mail are allowed to bid for collections - so they cherry pick the easiest, ie large firms. Meanwhile Royal Mail have to do all the other collections, empty all the pillar boxes, etc, and then SORT and DELIVER the whole lot including that collected by the competition. No wonder they can't make money. And then they take it out on the postmen. Do you think a SERVICE is going to exist when they've finished?

I'm sorry to go on at such length, this isn't really the place for it, but it's too easy to keep taking pot shots at the wrong target. To anyone who has read this far, thank you. I'm not a red-under-the-bed. However, I have been a postman for the last two years, and I can safely say it is the worst job I've ever done. Unfortunately, at my age and in the current economic climate, there is little prospect of finding another job. So before you lap up what the media tell you, think. Do you want to walk a mile in my shoes? Or should that be 6 miles a day, carrying a heavy bag?

At least the problem with the printers deflected attention from the strike a bit! And I've got my Pitstop! (Thanks Sue for all your hard work).

Comment

Many thanks to Sue and Tim for the copies received, I've cancelled the rehab unit booking.

Comment

Just as an aside, I received my copy via email (Thanks - Sue). Now my running club produces a newsletter that is sent by email to those who want it on that medium, and by paper to those who are technically challanged. There is no difference between the two documents.

However having seen the 'raw' input to the printers that I ASSUME Sue sends them, they do a good job of re-formatting the pages, adding adverts and the like. I am happy to keep old copies of the Pitstop magazine, but I'm quite sure that even if I printed out the email version the bits of A4 would become scruffy and discarded fairly soon.

Just a thought about the electronic/paper discussion earlier.

PS I'm not blaming the posties!

Comment

Hi folks
                        Just thought I might add to this post.
                        Mine arrived last week o/k and it had "two" front and back covers!!
                        Does this make it collectable??
                        Perhaps I should try it on "fleabay"
                        Happy reading to all that have got theirs.
                        Exellent mag as always thanks Sue.
                        Regards
                        Bryan
                        Stapley Bryan

Comment

Thanks Bryan!

I will let the Printer know about the double cover thing. He has had a bit of a nightmare on this issue. I hope it doesn't become a regular thing.

Anyone else still waiting for their copy?

Comment

Sue,
                            Mine still hasn't turned up, but I've read the copy you emailed me
                            Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,
                              I posted 7 mags including yours and Dave Cunningtons on Saturday a.m. [ first Class] You will see above that daves has arrived - we are now in the hands of Postman Pat
                              The printer has also been instructed to repost to 4 other Pitstopless members direct as I have no further spare copies.
                              Tim H

Comment

Not arrived here yet but many thanks to Sue for the electronic pitstop.
                                I'm a bit out in the sticks here so mail does occasionally take a bit longer to arrive.
                                Ah, the speedo actually works again!
                                Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
                                X