Putting a Zetec engine in Marlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a Zetec engine in Marlin

Bit of a sad story but my wife sold her treasured Mondy (Superchiped, Spax sports suspension, Mongoose twin exhausts, approx 160bph) onto my son, who had a mate 'borrow' it and crash it rear end first.

So sitting in the drive is a dead Mondy with a perfectly good Zetec engine. Has anyone out there put a Zetec in a RWD kit car, what did they have to do and how much did it cost?

Re: Putting a Zetec engine in Marlin

Do a search for Zetec, find Chris Dow and his email address.
    Job done.

Comment

Hi Chris,
      There is a YKC Roadster and at least one Berlinetta out there with Zetecs installed. Danny Nelson may know of more.
      Morgan also fitted Zetecs in their Runabout and there are a lot of Zetec powered Westfields

Comment

Hi Chris - the later YKC romero breed happily accept the mondy engine. These are pics that DOn Burt took a while ago.

Comment

trying again
          Attached Files

Comment

Chris send me an email, or phone, and I will put you in contact with a man who has , who will be able to give you a full account and of course cost. What he did tell me was that he would not go down that road again, and also the convertion cost quite a bit. The engine was only a very small part of the total cost.
            Danny.

Comment

Having recently finished a major engine transplant (albeit not Zetec) I can testify to the cost comments from Danny. Retro fitting a modern 16v injected engine into a car designed with A/B series in mind is a bit of a marathon.

Having the engine is a small (but important) part of the picture...that said if you feel up to the challenge I'd recommend it...I learned loads and enjoyed (mostly!) the journey.

You have some advantages in that Zetec to RWD format is a well-trodden route, but you will almost inevitably come across problems to which there is no substitute other than wads of cash and plenty of ingenuity...
              Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
              Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Anyone know what car the radiator is from in the above pics from Cameron / Don Burt? It looks as though it is an aluminium one with plastic header tanks. O/E Ford perhaps? (I'm still looking to improve the cooling on my V8 Hunter and maybe one of those rads would help). Peter.

Comment

Working...
                X