Roadster Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster Database

I just sent in my details for the Roadster database following the reminder in Pitstop.
    When this database is completed, will it be accessible via the Forum or will the current obsession with privacy law prevent this?

Re: Roadster Database

Peter
    The database will never be completed as cars are changing with current and new owners quite often.

The database will not be made public as to the confidential agreement of the club rules.
    Also some members have advised that there details are not to be used or passed on so we need to honer there requests.

I can advise that the database is working as some members are seeing the benefit's as it is helping them acquire parts and even moving cars on as I am often getting asked and told of parts and cars for sale.

So for those members that have yet not advised the relevant technical advisers of there car details please see the information in Pitstop for contacts and forward your details.
    The MOC membership database is members details only and does not give car detailed information.

Comment

Bob, excuse my misunderstanding but....

Databases by definition are never complete, and allways contain incorrect information, despite the best effort of the compiler.

But

What precicely is the potential benefit of the database to the MOC and club members if we cannot view it ourselves, perhaps you can give me an example?

Perhaps you could email me the information that you hold regarding myself and my car so that I can decide if any of the information is currently valid or should be witheld from others.

Comment

Steve

Stop looking for problems and just accept my information given earlier on this subject.

Some members do not want to be contacted after certain times of the day and are ex directory.

Also I can not email you with your details as you are with the minority of members that has failed to submit your car details to me if your car is a Marina based Roadster.

Comment

Without asking questions, or looking for problems as you put it, I would not have found that I was not on the database. It's a classic Catch 22 situation!

To say that I failed to give you info is incorrect. As a member since 1997 I naturally assumed, and am sure, I had passed on the neccesary info at some time in the past.
          Others may be in the same position, and their info may be out of date, but they cannot tell without asking, or looking for problems as you put it.

I am sure that you do not want every member contacting you, asking for their cars info, but how else will you update the database, making it more accurate, if it cannot be placed in the public domain or individuals cannot view their entry?

I have emailed the information I think that you want, and more.
          Perhaps you hold further info on my Chassis number and can pass it back to me?

Comment

if MR Green thinks it is easier to sort though 3000 odd Roadsters to find any missing compared with asking if one car is on the list he must live in a unique world.
            I only have 300 or so Cabrios and rely on members supplying their data. If they don't want to do it fair enough no one will twist their arms

Comment

I think Peter & Steve raise some interesting points...

Whilst it is clear that the database can never be wholly complete I don't think it unreasonable to expect some benefits to be available to the membership from whose details it is comprised.

I accept that some members wish their privacy to be respected...but benefits can accrue without the need to breach their confidentiality. For example, it is a common theme on the forum as to whether something or not has been done before. Often this is to do with engine/gearbox/axle/suspension modifications.

I would suggest that, like the Dutton OC, the MOC publish summary data on the website along the lines of known engine/axle/gearbox combinations. It would also be nice to see numbers of cars by mark, engine/gearbox combo etc.

This would not breach privacy concerns and would allow members a better insight into the wide variety of cars that make up each type. It would also stimulate debate and allow people to ask more targeted questions, or approach the database custodian/technical rep in a more informed manner...especially as the number of owner-builders declines.

Whilst on the subject I'd also echo Sue's recent comments in Pitstop and urge all members to submit more technical articles to the mag. There are a huge number of interesting modications to "standard" out there and it would be great to see more technical articles, be they short or long, published. What some of us take for granted others may find useful & informative.

Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
              Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Thanks Jez.

I know there are plenty of members who have a wealth of knowledge and experience in their heads and who don't put pen to paper. It's a shame, but I do understand it can be difficult to find the time.

I do have some techy stuff coming up in the next mag but I am always happy to receive more!

Comment

Following Jez's comments, Andrew Brown, our Trials rep, has published a datbase of 100+ Marlin Roadsters that have been Trial prepared.
                  It contains brief information about each car, and makes interesting reading. It names some owner/drivers but does not contain any other personal information.

Surely the current Roadster database can be presented in a similarly edited format, and will not contravene the Club's Constitution or Data Protection duties.

If some assistance would help in preparing an abridged database of 3000 cars for publication, I gladly offer my time and services to the benefit of the MOC members.

Sue: I have more projects looming and am mid preparing a Dolomite Sprint Axle install that may have to be spread over several issues of Pitstop. I hope it will be of interest.

Comment

Data Protection Registration issues are presently being investigated by the Club, and a statement will be issued as soon as possible. Please all be patient and watch for a statement in due course.
                    Thank you
                    Lee

Comment

Referring to Steve Green's comments, above, on my database of trials-prepared cars ... this has been compiled, over the years, from information in the public domain (mainly trials programmes, results sheets, and photographs published on the internet). The "Notes" have, in some cases, been supplemented by information provided by the owners with their permission to publish on my website. So far ... no one has ever asked me to remove anything.

Comment

Hi Andrew!

Long time no see :-D

Comment

Do I understand that there are several databases being compiled? Wouldnt it be easier (and more useful) to have one? As for the DPA there isnt any problem if people give permission for their full/part details - a simple tick in the database will effect the correct outcome.
                          I used to be in another club (cant remember whether it was x1/9 or TSSC) where they published in their mag a list of members who were willing to come tothe aid of fellow members who broke down - or had other services they could offer. This sort of thing adds a huge amount of value for members. Worth thinking about?

Comment

Bob: Can you please confirm you have received my details. I asked for confirmation via email but you have not responded yet.

Cameron: Good points.

An interesting perhaps unwitting contribution to the debate comes from Sue who publishes New members, names, town, county and car in Pitstop. How does this avoid DPA issues, and could a database be compiled from these entries?

Comment

Steve,

The reason I have not emailed you is I have not received it as with some other sky.com members the emails are dropping in to spam and automatically deleting.
                              To answer you question if its the same as earlier on the this forum, I have only got information on your car that you sent me last week
                              I do not hold or have access to any other databases from the club. The database I am compiling is for my own use to help me and other members for references as I am the technical adviser for the Marina based Roadsters and no other motive intended.
                              I hope this answers your question !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X