Bright lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bright lights

Liz/Doug, that was my first thought but when I say bright I mean BRIGHT! I went out again today and in less than 10 miles the fuel gauge and volt meter were playing all sorts of tricks. Hugh,I have come to the same conclusion as you - I have taken the Alt. off and tomorrow morning I am taking it to a chap who re-cons them and he will put it on his test rig there and then. I told him the symptoms and he thinks it could be the voltage regulator that is at fault. I could buy one from a factor for £50 but I want it tested to be 100% sure before I do anything else. I'll be back.
    Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Took the alt to the re-con man and he tested it for a minute or two but it was Ok, kicking out 13v. I said that it didn't misbehave all the time, only now and then. I asked him what he would do if it was his car and he said that as the bearings were about shot and it was 32 years old he would put a re-conned unit on so that if the fault was still there we would know it definitely wasn't the alternator. But, given my list of symptoms he thought it was highly likely that it was the alt. He also said that it was harmful to the battery to let the full uncontrolled voltage loose. So, I fitted the one (£45) and took it for a short run which showed no fuel gauge maladies or volt meter twitches so I think I may have nailed it. Thanks to all who took an interest in this and hope we have all learnt something from it.
      Franklin, Leicester

Comment

We've all got our fingers crossed!!!!

Comment

Hi Franklin, nice to see you on here again, ive beem away for a bit, but i had exactly the same on mine a few months ago, new alternator gave an instant cure. see you soon i hope.

Comment

Hi Merv, you know, I nearly phoned you anyway, I thought "Merv will know what's going on here". See you at SEMS Sunday?
            Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Hi Franklin, Sems is possible I'll have to talk to Ann, but hopefully see you there.

Comment

Working...
              X