thread sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thread sizes

Well, not a plea for help (just for once!) but sharing experience.
    Fitting new steering gaiters last night, ok no problems there but then I came to tightening the bottom balljoint on my sierra based Romero. Hmmm castellated nut? Ok tighten it up only to find no hole for split pin. Arg! Never mind, use a nylock - no - different thread size! can I have an imperial thread on the balljoint? AAAAArgh! Will now drill and fit split pin. Just sharing another joyous moment in car building with you all! The build has been beset with such tiny challenges and I have now adopted a position of "I will definitely win!". Dont ever ask me to sell this car if/when I complete it as it is getting sooooo personal now! :-)

Re: thread sizes

Being an engineer it never ceases to amaze me of the range of different threads that have existed.
    There is apparently a logic to all of them, BA, UNF, UNC, Standard Brass, BSF, BSW, Pipe, Cycle, Metric and all its variants from Extra Fine to.......... Not to mention ACME.......
    And as you have found despite having a vast collection, you never seem to have quite the right nut to fit. Usually at a vital moment.

The worst bit will be in 5 years time when you revisit the balljoint, look and think to yourself, 'The other side is different, who on earth did that, surely it wasn't me' and then proceed to take it all apart to do it right.

Comment

The engineers law of Murphy strikes again 'the most important spanner will fall into the the most difficult space at the most inoppertune moment causing the maximum damage/inconvenience' or SOD IT

Comment

"Any small component dropped will either disappear from sight or fall into an inaccessible locaton."
        e.g. the time I had removed a distributor and dropped a small nut down the hole, and ending up having to remove the sump to retrieve it.

Comment

at least its not just me these things happen too!

Comment

In addition to Soddes and Murphys Laws, there is a basic law of Physics which in more than 60 years I have so far been unable to dispute :
            "Inanimate objects are always against you !"

Comment

Working...
            X